Recipe Roasted Corn, Garlic Cheese Grit Casserole

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
6:11 PM
Garlic Cheese Grits were popular in the late 1990's. It would show up as a brunch dis, a side for BBQ, family dinners and even formal dinner parties. The original recipe called for white grits (not instant) and a tube of Kraft Garlic Cheese. Kraft made tubes of garlic flavored plastic cheese. Not much from a culinary standpoint but tasty. Kraft stopped producing the tubes of garlic cheese and home cooks figured out that the casserole was much better with real cheese.
Over time Garlic Cheese Grits declined in popularity and faded away.

When discussing our Thanks Giving menu a light bulb went off and I remembered this old favorite. Sister was all for resurrecting the dish.

I have reworked the recipe.

Roasted Corn Garlic Cheese Grits

INGREDIENTS

2 cups roasted corn kernels. I used frozen ears of corn. Defrost, dry, brush with EVOO and roast until there are char marks on the corn. I used G's gas grill. You can use a grill pan on your range top or roast in the oven. Turn frequently. Allow to cool. Slice off the kernels and reserve 2 cups.
1 head roasted garlic. Cooled. Garlic squeezed out of pods and smashed. Mix with just enough stock or water to make it easy to mix into the grits
2 cups Stone Ground Yellow Corn Grits. Not white, not instant, not quick grits. Old fashioned, slow cooked yellow grits. It makes a difference in both flavor and texture.
2 quarts chicken broth/stock
4 cups shredded sharp cheddar. Reserve 1 cup
1 cup micro planed Parmesan Regianno
4 large, room temperature eggs, whisked
1/2 cup melted - not separated - butter. Cooled
1/2 cup heavy cream
Salt and Fresh Black Pepper

METHOD

Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C)
Grease a 2 quart pan with butter or spray.

1. In a stock pot bring the stock to a boil. Reduce heat and slowly pour the grits into the stock stirring while pouring. Simmer, stirring frequently until all of the liquid is absorbed and the grits are tender. 30 to 45 minutes. Remove from the heat.

2. Fold in 3 cups sharp cheddar, smashed garlic and roasted corn kernels. In a bowl whisk eggs, butter and cream. Gently fold into into grits.

3. Taste. Depending on the sodium content of the stock you may or may not need salt. Grind in a generous amount of black pepper. If you want a more intense garlic flavor micro plane a clove or 2 of garlic into the mixture.

4. Pour into the prepared pan. Top with the remaining cup of sharp cheddar and the Parmesan.

If freezing for later cover with foil and freeze before baking

Bake @ 350 degrees F for 45 to 60 minutes.

The eggs, cream and butter give the casserole a souffle texture.

If you are not from the Merican South, you want to cook this recipe, and don't know what grits are, just replace the word "grits" with "polenta." They are fundamentally the same thing. Grits are made with white corn, so they look different, and the texture is a little bit different, but not enough to mess up a recipe.

CD

caseydog
The original recipe called for regular white grits. In my updated version I used slow cook yellow grits. It makes a difference in texture and flavor.

Back
Top Bottom