1 small carrot, coarsely chopped
1 small fennel bulb, coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons anise liquer
2 to 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
5-6 large fresh basil leaves
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Heat the oven to 400F. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise and squeeze gently to remove the seeds, using your fingers to scrape out fingers if necessary. Coat the tomatoes with olive oil and place them cut side down on a foil-lined shallow baking dish. Roast for 35-45 minutes, until the tomatoes are very soft and the skins are dark. Remove them from the oven and let cool. Remove the skins, which should come off easily.

Melt butter in a medium-sized saucepan and sauté the chopped shallots, carrot, garlic and fennel until they're soft, about 12 minutes. Add 2 cups of stock and the basil. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Remove the basil leaves (you can also leave in if you don't mind the little bits of basil) and add the roasted tomatoes and anise liquer.

Puree the soup with a blender, immersion blender, or food processor. (You can pass through a food mill for a smoother soup.) Add the cream and return the soup to a simmer. If the soup is too thick, thin it with more stock. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm over low heat until ready to serve.

Sounds lovely. And anise liquer as well! For some reason I was surprised by the addition of cream - in my mind I'd visualised a mediterranean style soup.

Nice. I like the use of basil the way I'd use bay leaves in a tomato soup (except that you must remove the bay leaves).

Now, I'm trying to imagine licorice overtones (from the anise and leeks) in a tomato soup. How pronounced is it?

Nice. I like the use of basil the way I'd use bay leaves in a tomato soup (except that you must remove the bay leaves).

Now, I'm trying to imagine licorice overtones (from the anise and leeks) in a tomato soup. How pronounced is it?

I don't like licorice at ALL and I love this soup. Once you cook fennel (not leeks, not sure where that came from), it loses that overwhelming licorice flavor and becomes sweeter, and there's not enough anise liquer to really be able to taste it, it's just part of the background. I won't eat raw fennel, but I love it in dishes when cooked.

Once you cook fennel (not leeks, not sure where that came from), it loses that overwhelming licorice flavor
I did mean fennel (for that flavor profile), but I think I wrote leeks because I was thinking of making this with leeks instead of shallots. Now, I have to try it, since I also don't like licorice, and I've made many tomato soups, so I have to see how this flavor combination works for myself.

Back
Top Bottom