Rub/marinades for chicken

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
4:27 PM
What do you use for a marinade or rub for ckicken before roasting it? I've recently got an oven after a year without so have been roasting chicken for husband. These are two favourites:

'Curry': 1 tsp each of minced ginger and garlic, 1 tsp each of garlic salt, chilli, black pepper and corriander powder, 1/2 of cumin, ginger and 1/4 turmeric. This coats two thighs and two drumsticks.

Peri Peri: (I need to note quantities next time) Paprika (not smoked), chilli, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil.

So, what are your favourite rubs/marinades?

That depends on which flavor profile/cuisine I'm cooking. If I'm doing a whole chicken on the rotisserie, I like a salt and sugar brine. If I'm grilling pieces, I like a Cuban style mojo, using sour oranges. BBQ (not grilling) I generally use a rub and base it on the BBQ style I'm making.

If I'm roasting a whole chicken, I do it in a brick, stuffing the cavity with onions, garlic and fresh herbs, for a traditional roast. During the summer, we often do it in an Eastern Med style, with harissa and ras al hanout, and serve it with couscous and courgette/aubergine sides.

If I'm roasting a whole chicken, I do it in a brick, stuffing the cavity with onions, garlic and fresh herbs, for a traditional roast. During the summer, we often do it in an Eastern Med style, with harissa and ras al hanout, and serve it with couscous and courgette/aubergine sides.
Ras al handout is a spice mix I've not cooked with. Looking up the ingredients I've got everything in. I'll try this next time - thanks for the suggestion. I love harissa.

That depends on which flavor profile/cuisine I'm cooking. If I'm doing a whole chicken on the rotisserie, I like a salt and sugar brine. If I'm grilling pieces, I like a Cuban style mojo, using sour oranges. BBQ (not grilling) I generally use a rub and base it on the BBQ style I'm making.

I like both of those, but also like a good Jamaican jerk marinade for leg quarters (leg and thigh). I don't have a recipe in writing anywhere (surprise!), but maybe someone else has a good one.

CD

I like both of those, but also like a good Jamaican jerk marinade for leg quarters (leg and thigh). I don't have a recipe in writing anywhere (surprise!), but maybe someone else has a good one.

CD

There so many Caribbean based restaurants locally, I've never needed to make Jerk at home.

There so many Caribbean based restaurants locally, I've never needed to make Jerk at home.

Leaving London I really miss all the food on our doorstep. Not too far form us is a Chinese community adn there re a couple of more authentic restaurants which we like. The curry houses and the rest of the Chinese are very Anglicised. There used to be a good Mexican burt it's closed, In place we go ger some very good English cooking amnd regional produce and dishes which are often oferlooked in London. So if we want to eat other cuisine I need to cook them.

The one in the photo I featured for this thread is chilli and achiote paste which I made a while back. I seem not to have written up the recipe! I will need to search my notes...

I think you would love achiote paste Herbie. You need to buy it on-line but its not very expensive.

I have a selection of Williams rubs from Texas. My friend there also sent me some sucklebusters sauce. It's run out ATM. I think it was peach ?
There is an agent in Queensland now I believe??

Russ

This has been one of my favourites for many years. Based upon Madhur Jaffrey's masaledar murghi (spicy baked chicken). This marinade is good for 1.5 kg of chicken and is best left overnight in the refrigerator. I either roast the marinated chicken or put it on the barbecue.
  • 1 tblsp Ground cumin seeds
  • 1 tblsp Paprika*
  • 1 tsp Chili powder*
  • 1 tblsp Turmeric
  • 1 1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tsp Salt
  • 4 Garlic cloves, mashed
  • 6 tblsp Lemon juice
* 4 tsp in total, varied to taste.

bakedchicken2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom