Recipe Rye Bread with Miso (single rise)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:08 AM
I wasn’t sure if this would work - but I thought that as miso is fermented, maybe it will add a sour dough dimension. It turns out that it does. Its a subtle back taste and I’m intending to make more bread with miso and increase the amount of miso next time. The bread is straightforward - although I use a wet dough hand kneaded technique which is a bit tricky. You don’t need to. Just reduce the quantity of water so that the flour ‘just’ comes together. Then knead as normal. I reduced the usual amount of salt slightly as the miso is a bit salty.

I think you could add a tablespoon (or more?) of miso to almost any bread you usually make and it should work. So please give it a try. I’d love to know how it turns out.

fullsizeoutput_4927.jpeg

Ingredients
200g rye flour
280g strong white bread flour
7g instant yeast
2 heaped tsp brown miso
8g salt
350ml warm water.
Vegetable oil

Method
  • Place the flours in a large bowl. Add the salt to one side and the yeast to the other side.
  • Dissolve the miso in the water and gradually add the water to the flour to form a fairly wet dough. Use less water for a ‘normal’ dough.
  • Tip the dough onto an oiled surface and start by picking up the dough in one hand and slapping it back on the surface from a height. This is a messy process but if you repeat and repeat the dough will start to change and become less sticky.
  • Use a metal dough cutter in your other (clean) hand to scoop the dough up from the surface each time. After about 5 minutes the dough should come together and loose its stickiness. At this point knead for a further 5 minutes in the normal way.
  • If you have used less water and made a standard dough - knead as normal.
  • Shape the dough into a ball and place in a floured banneton or tin. Leave to rise until doubled.
  • If using a banneton, turn the dough onto a baking tray.
  • Heat the oven to 180C.
  • Bake for 35 to 40 mins.
fullsizeoutput_4920.jpeg

Last edited:
This looks great...I like the artistic swirl you added to the surface.

How much does it taste like sourdough bread? Using miso would be a massive time-saver, compared to what it takes to make sourdough starter (as @Elawin posted here). I have done this, and the results are great, but I'm always happy to find a shortcut.

.I like the artistic swirl you added to the surface.

That's the effect of rising it in a banneton - a basket with ridges.

71109_1.jpeg

How much does it taste like sourdough bread? Using miso would be a massive time-saver, compared to what it takes to make sourdough starter (as @Elawin posted here). I have done this, and the results are great, but I'm always happy to find a shortcut.

I'm not going to claim it tastes as good as real sourdough - but it does give a slight sour taste. I will try upping the amount of miso next time to see if that makes a difference. Perhaps also, leaving it for a long slow proving overnight.

This looks great...I like the artistic swirl you added to the surface.

But you only have to make the starter once. Mine is a tiny baby born on 4th February 2018. Some still in use are over 150 years old. There are some interesting comments on here https://sourdough.com/forum/oldest-starter. I won't be trying yours as I can't have any soy products because of the medication I'm on, so miso is a no-no.

I don't make all those fancy breads. I try to stick with the common ones. I would like to make some wheat bread for a change. :wink:

I don't make all those fancy breads. I try to stick with the common ones. I would like to make some wheat bread for a change. :wink:
Nearly all my bread is made from wheat - some from normal white bread flour, and some wholemeal. My sourdough is mainly white bread flour with a little rye and wholemeal thrown in, or completely white bread flour. You can use nearly any flour you like when making sourdough bread. It just takes a little longer, although most of that time is resting between folds, and then proving the dough before baking. Mine usually spends about 12 hours in the fridge before baking, sometimes as much as 24 hours, but some people leave it much longer than that. And the taste is something else.

Back
Top Bottom