Extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
Basil leaves
White wine vinegar
(optional)
Diced cucumber
Julienned sweet peppers
Thinly sliced radishes
* If you can find tuna in jars, it's better, because the fish is in thick, chunky "sticks".

Method:
  • Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil and add the green beans. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, until the beans are just cooked. Drain and refresh in cold water.
  • Arrange a bed of lettuce leaves (or mesclun) on a plate. Arrange the potato slices on top.
  • Put the tuna in the middle of the potatoes and drizzle with abundant olive oil.
  • Put the anchovies on top of the tuna and scatter the capers over the top.
  • Arrange the quartered tomatoes, the olives and the quartered eggs (which I forgot to add before I took the picture :eek: :eek:) around the dish. Put the green beans on one side.
  • Season with salt and pepper, scatter a few basil leaves on top, drizzle with the vinegar and eat before anyone else does.

• Salade Nicoise.JPG

I looooooove salad nicoise. I must admit, however, that my mother (who introduced me to it) made a very, very stripped-down version. Potatoes, green beans, eggs, and tuna. I have never added capers to mine - but I’m going to make it right the next time I make this salad!

Nothing beats the legend, love this salad and your recipe.
If I got some bucks to spare I like to swap the tinned tuna with tuna steak

If I got some bucks to spare I like to swap the tinned tuna with tuna steak
Don't know if something like this (photo) is available where you are, but that's what I meant by "Tuna in Jars". It's a bit more expensive than canned tuna, but the quality is way, way better. It doesn't have to be this particular brand, of course - anything similar will work.

1686257268841.png

Fantastic. I actually have everything on hand now, except for the optional items.

We use this brand. Got a jar this time, but they do have good canned products as well.

View attachment 101014
Also, we use

Ortiz Bonito Del Norte - White Tuna in Olive Oil​

I just looked this up, and they have this brand at Walmart. They also have similar at Kroger. I had no idea!

I have every ingredient on hand, but I have canned tuna. This is definitely worth the trip to get tuna in a jar. Or, if I'm feeling adventurous, raw tuna that I cook first. That defeats the easy assembly of the dish that makes this so appealing, but I may just get inspired after I make this. I can see this becoming a go-to dish when I want to eat light, and I don't want a standard salad.

I order the Ortiz brand from Amazon. The grocery has been carrying the Tonnino lately though.

We have made this with fresh tuna steak. Just give it S&P, then a quick sear on each side, and it's good to go.

Back
Top Bottom