Serves 6-8 | Preparation and baking time: 1 hour 15 min

Ingredients

500 g (1.1 lb) shallots
15-20 g (0.5-0.7 oz/1 heaped tablespoon) butter
60 g (2.1 oz/2 bunches) chives
60 g (2.1 oz/2 bunches) dill
350-400 g (0.8-0.9 lb) smoked or blazed (open-fire smoked) salmon
2 dl (0.85 cups/~81 g/2.86 oz) risotto rice
500 ml (2.1 cups) fish stock/chicken stock/bouillon (1 cube)
Zest of 1 lemon
200 g/210 ml (7 oz/0.9 cups) spreadable, natural cream cheese
1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
A few drops of Chipotle pepper sauce (Chipotle Tabasco or else)
A pinch of salt
A pinch of white pepper
A pinch of black pepper
600-800 g puff pastry/millefeuille pastry (self made or ready-made)
1 egg yolk + 1 tablespoon of water for egg wash

Instructions

Slice the shallots, chop the chives and dill and grate the lemon zest. Heat up a pinch of butter on a skillet/frying pan and toss the risotto rice in the pan for a minute or two. Add 500 ml (fish) stock, bring to boil, let cook on low heat for 15-20 min and stir occasionally until the liquid has nearly absorbed/evaporated. Take aside and let rest/cook further for a couple of minutes. Meanwhile, sauté the shallots in a pinch of butter on medium heat for about 15 minutes. Season the shallots with a pinch of salt, white pepper, black pepper and lemon zest. Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6, no fan. Halve the puff pastry and roll it into two very thin (~1.5 mm/0.06”), fairly identical rectangular shapes (e.g. on top of flour dusted parchment paper). Place the other sheet on top of parchment paper on a baking tray. Mix the cream cheese with a tablespoon of mustard, a few drops of pepper/chil(l)i sauce and a tiny pinch of salt and white pepper. Spread the mixture on the pastry bottom. Leave about 2 cm/0.8” of the edges clear. Spread the rice on top. Follow by crumbling the boneless salmon on top. Add the shallots and finish with a layer of chopped chives and dill. Cover the pie with the other half of the puff pastry. Seal the edges by pressing with a fork. Check that the seam is airtight. Prick a few holes on top of the pastry with a fork. Mix one egg yolk with a spoonful of water and brush the pastry with the mixture. Bake in the middle part of the oven for 30-35 minutes.

salmo_a.png

salmo_b.png

salmo_c.png

Last edited:
This I know as a Coulibiac (Russian) and its a lovely way to make a fish pie. I like the cheeky addition of Tabasco!
:okay: There are many variations in terms of salmon and puff pastry. My filling is rather mainstream despite the Tabasco you mentioned. Russian Coulibiac is typically made with quark/curd-based puff pastry and the filling contains gravlax, rice, spinach, crumbled eggs and dill - not cream cheese or shallots (nor onions or garlic). Salmon Wellington often contains cream cheese in the filling but the salmon is usually placed as a solid piece. Spinach, shallots and even garlic are common additions in Salmon Wellington fillings but I'm not a big fan of spinach or garlic in this context so I added a touch of mustard (which is quite common in salmon pie/tart recipes), chives and a kick of chili.

Back
Top Bottom