Recipe Salmorejo - Spanish cold tomato soup

Tasteofspain_uk

Local time
11:41 AM
Website
tasteofspain.uk
Cover.JPG

The heat is increasing every day and the body demands something refreshing. And, on top of this, is tomato season right now. Can you think in anything better than this?
INGREDIENTS (SERVES 2)

• Tomatoes (1 kg / 10 medium)
  • Bread baton (1)
  • Garlic clove (1)
  • Olive oil (1 tbsp)
  • Salt
  • Boiled eggs (2)

DIRECTIONS FOR COOKING

1) Chunk the tomatoes and blend until you achieve a pureed texture. Then, strain in another recipient to separate all the solid bits.

2) Cut the bread and tip it into the tomato puree. Soak it for about five minutes and blend. This will make it easier to grind and will give your Salmorejo a creamy texture.

3) Halve the garlic clove, remove the germ and add it to the recipient. Add also the olive oil and salt to taste. Again, blend all together until it turns creamy and rather orange (Tip: if it’s too thick you can carefully add water)

4) Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving. Sprinkle a boiled egg and, if you wish, diced cured Serrano ham.

I like the sound of this but imagine it would depend on having first rate tomatoes. Not easy to find in the UK. Do you think the little 'cherry' tomatoes would work (they tend to have the best flavour) or would there be too much skin and pips?

Halve the garlic clove, remove the germ and add it to the recipient.

I assume by 'germ' you mean the peeled clove?

I like the sound of this but imagine it would depend on having first rate tomatoes. Not easy to find in the UK. Do you think the little 'cherry' tomatoes would work (they tend to have the best flavour) or would there be too much skin and pips?

I assume by 'germ' you mean the peeled clove?

Cherry tomatoes won't work unless you use a massive amount of them. What I recommend you is getting hold of those bigger ones that are usually sold by units (they cost 65p each or something like this in Tescos). Aren't there any good groceries shops in your area? These always have very good stuff yet more expensive.

The garlic germ you can spot it when you halve the clove. It is like a root going across it. You can easily remove it using a knife.

Back
Top Bottom