Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:17 PM
Inspired by this post from @SatNavSaysStraightOn: Are pomegranates, turmeric, red wine and red grapes the key to long life? Well, I'm going with that. I like the red wine and turmeric is always on my agenda. I'm not specifying precise quantities for salad ingredients here. You can use your judgement regarding how much of each ingredient you want. I've added tomatoes and sweetcorn (both high in anti-oxidants) and black beans (beans are always good for you) to the list. The turmeric salad dressing pulls it all together. And of course, you must have a glass of red wine with it!

Here is how it turned out:

IMGP1421.jpg

Photographed yesterday in daylight.

Ingredients
For the salad:
Red grapes
Pomegranate seeds
Charred sweetcorn
Tomatoes
Black beans
Fresh turmeric (optional)

For the dressing:
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 heaped tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp wine vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste

Method
  • Make the salad dressing: 3 parts oil to one part vinegar: whisk vinegar into Dijon mustard. Add the ground turmeric and olive oil and whisk again. You should have a fairly thick emulsion. Add salt to taste.
  • Assemble the salad ingredients and drizzle over the dressing. Add salt to taste.
  • Grate fresh turmeric over the top (optional).
  • Pour a glass of red wine.
IMGP1413.jpg

IMGP1416.jpg

Well look at what I have been missing..Oh isn't this just pretty to look and everything is within reach. Is that frozen corn that you charred? In my country we have a time of year where you will find vendors on the street roasting the corn for sale on an open fire. As a child I would get corn from my own field and we would roast them on the stove. It was quite a treat and fun as I remember. The good old days.Many years ago I tried roasting corn on my electric stove. It wasn't the same at all.

Well look at what I have been missing..Oh isn't this just pretty to look and everything is within reach. Is that frozen corn that you charred? In my country we have a time of year where you will find vendors on the street roasting the corn for sale on an open fire. As a child I would get corn from my own field and we would roast them on the stove. It was quite a treat and fun as I remember. The good old days.Many years ago I tried roasting corn on my electric stove. It wasn't the same at all.

The corn is fresh corn on the cob and baby corn on the cob (wqell, as fresh as I can get from the supermarket!). You can use frozen but probably not canned. I charred the corn on a gas stove top using a griddle pan. I can imagine the how wonderful to get corn from the field and then roast it. :D

This salad looks lovely. It is very nice and colorful. Needless to say, it is packed with a lot of nutritious and healthy stuff. There is so much one can do with a salad.

I thought it was through his stomach... :laugh: (the saying that is as well practicality. Don't want to drown him or suffocate him really do we?)
You are correct. I have a sneaky feeling I might have used "mouth" because it's kind of a Bajan way of speaking.. I could go on but I might be scolded for being naughty:giggle:.

Last edited:
Inspired by this post from @SatNavSaysStraightOn: Are pomegranates, turmeric, red wine and red grapes the key to long life? Well, I'm going with that. I like the red wine and turmeric is always on my agenda. I'm not specifying precise quantities for salad ingredients here. You can use your judgement regarding how much of each ingredient you want. I've added tomatoes and sweetcorn (both high in anti-oxidants) and black beans (beans are always good for you) to the list. The turmeric salad dressing pulls it all together. And of course, you must have a glass of red wine with it!

Here is how it turned out:

View attachment 3543
Photographed yesterday in daylight.

Ingredients
For the salad:
Red grapes
Pomegranate seeds
Charred sweetcorn
Tomatoes
Black beans
Fresh turmeric (optional)

For the dressing:
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 heaped tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp wine vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste

Method
  • Make the salad dressing: 3 parts oil to one part vinegar: whisk vinegar into Dijon mustard. Add the ground turmeric and olive oil and whisk again. You should have a fairly thick emulsion. Add salt to taste.
  • Assemble the salad ingredients and drizzle over the dressing. Add salt to taste.
  • Grate fresh turmeric over the top (optional).
  • Pour a glass of red wine.
View attachment 3544

View attachment 3545
Absolutely stunning with the best photos i have seen on this site

Back
Top Bottom