Recipe Sesame-ginger veggie noodles

Herbaceous

Local time
6:31 AM
This is a very easy weeknight pasta that comes together very quickly. If you want a non vegetarian version, you can add cooked, sliced chicken. You could also add tofu for added protein. This recipe is adapted from Looneyspoons by Janet and Greta Podleski.

Ingredients:

12 oz long pasta (fettuccine or spaghetti)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
2 tsp minced garlic
1 cup chicken broth (you can use veggie stock to keep this vegetarian)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp grated gingerroot
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp honey or brown sugar
1 tsp hot pepper sauce (I used sriracha)
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup julienned red bell pepper
1 cup julienned carrots
1-1/2 cups broccoli florets

Method:

Get your pasta cooking. When it’s done, drain and set aside.

While pasta is cooking, heat up the oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and saute until they start to soften. Add broth, ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, gingerroot, sesame oil, honey or brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce. Mix well and bring to a simmer.

Throw in your veg, and cook for 3-4 min, until tender-crisp. Mix cornstarch with an equal amount of water in a small bowl to make a slurry and add to the pot. Cook until sauce has thickened to your liking. Add cooked pasta and mix well. Enjoy!

Makes 4 servings.
IMG_8856.jpeg

IMG_8859.jpeg

On the other hand, it has 17 ingredients, 16 of which require measuring in measuring spoons etc., many of which require processing before cooking (e.g., julienning, grating, mincing), lots of taking-out of cabinets (and later cleaning and putting back). Jeez Louise! I'd be exhausted just setting up my mise. Only THEN does it appear to be something that 'comes together very quickly.' And now for the leisurely clean-up!

On the other hand, it has 17 ingredients, 16 of which require measuring in measuring spoons etc., many of which require processing before cooking (e.g., julienning, grating, mincing), lots of taking-out of cabinets (and later cleaning and putting back). Jeez Louise! I'd be exhausted just setting up my mise. Only THEN does it appear to be something that 'comes together very quickly.' And now for the leisurely clean-up!
Well, a small food processor could be handy for the chopping, and I think the julienne is more of a suggestion than a rule (methinks that chopped/diced would be acceptable but julienne is prettier)...and I rarely measure exact measurements for most dishes (other than baking). I can pretty much eyeball about a tbsp of this or a half tsp of that, and then I am adjusting things while cooking to adapt to my personal tastes anyway.

These are great as well (see below). I buy these at Aldi's. They also carry lemongrass and other herbs/seasoning pastes and they are reasonably priced. They last a long time after opening (kept in the refrigerator of course). Since I don't use ginger (or lemongrass) that often, it makes more sense to me to buy things like that in the tubes. And basil, though not needed for this recipe, is nice to have in the winter when I can't grow it myself.

1708903670484.jpeg

Well, a small food processor could be handy for the chopping, and I think the julienne is more of a suggestion than a rule (methinks that chopped/diced would be acceptable but julienne is prettier)...and I rarely measure exact measurements for most dishes (other than baking). I can pretty much eyeball about a tbsp of this or a half tsp of that, and then I am adjusting things while cooking to adapt to my personal tastes anyway.

These are great as well (see below). I buy these at Aldi's. They also carry lemongrass and other herbs/seasoning pastes and they are reasonably priced. They last a long time after opening (kept in the refrigerator of course). Since I don't use ginger (or lemongrass) that often, it makes more sense to me to buy things like that in the tubes. And basil, though not needed for this recipe, is nice to have in the winter when I can't grow it myself.

View attachment 110473
Last time my husband bought one of those tubes of herbs (we needed coriander and there was none fresh) it turned out to contain dairy! Why? We now steer clear of them.

There's not that much work there. I certainly wouldn't bat an eyelid over that list of ingredients. I've got mid week meals that have that more spices than that alone, in them, then add herbs and the actually veg & pulses on top...

In fact the one I'm making tonight has 22 ingredients in it, not counting the rice it will be served with.

Last time my husband bought one of those tubes of herbs (we needed coriander and there was none fresh) it turned out to contain dairy! Why? We now steer clear of them.
Yes, and you are a rare exception and it's unfortunate. I am going to have to look at the tubes I have in my pantry to see if they contain dairy...do you have Aldi there and have those same brands? I am sorry so many things are limited for you with your particular issues. Maybe one day manufacturers will get it right!

Yes, and you are a rare exception and it's unfortunate. I am going to have to look at the tubes I have in my pantry to see if they contain dairy...do you have Aldi there and have those same brands? I am sorry so many things are limited for you with your particular issues. Maybe one day manufacturers will get it right!
We do have both Aldi & Lidl here though I don't know about the brands they stock. We don't tend to use them.

It is a pain that manufacturers need to contaminate so many products with unnecessary allergens (not just dairy). We nearly fell for one at the weekend. The brand is popcorn we eat wasn't in stock. We usually pick up the ready popped version, but picked up the microwave version instead. Exactly the same flavour and brand: the only difference, one is ready popped (which i can have), the other you need to pop yourself (i can't eat). One contains no dairy, the other does! :o_o: it is so easy to make a innocent mistake that ends up being life threatening. People think I'm paranoid but that mistake was mine! The second packet is now being donated to the food bank.

I've just spotted in the top right hand corner, it says vegan! I might have to see if I can get them here.

On the other hand, it has 17 ingredients,
The most difficult things in that recipe are chopping the onions, mincing the garlic, grating the ginger and cutting the carrots and peppers into strips. Yeah, a long list perhaps, but I bet it'd only take 15-20 minutes to prep.

The most difficult things in that recipe are chopping the onions, mincing the garlic, grating the ginger and cutting the carrots and peppers into strips. Yeah, a long list perhaps, but I bet it'd only take 15-20 minutes to prep.
Yep, you’re correct. This whole dish took me roughly 35 min from start to finish, including prepping the ingredients and cooking the pasta.

It also didn’t take that many dishes. There were only 2 pots, 1 for the pasta and 1 for everything else. It probably helps that I’m not super fussy about my mise en place - I gathered up all the bottles of various things I needed, put them beside the stove, grabbed a set of measuring spoons, and good to go!

Last edited:
My mise en place is to put everything I need for the recipe on the left side of the table. Move each to right side as used.

Back
Top Bottom