Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:35 PM
You could of course use just one type of mushrooms here if you wish but the mixed mushrooms do look more dramatic. You could also add cheese of your choice in which case I’d put it under the mushrooms so that the mushroom shapes still stand out. I love the way the individual mustard seeds are visible on top and ‘pop’ in your mouth. Sprinkle chilli flakes on over before serving if you wish.

fullsizeoutput_4d02.jpeg

Ingredients (per medium pizza)
Pizza dough
125g mixed mushrooms
1 banana shallot
Olive oil
Mustard oil (or vegetable oil)
1/2 tbsp grated ginger
1 fat clove of garlic, finely chopped or grated
1/2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1/2 tsp brown mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp white wine vinegar (or lemon juice)
4 tbsp water (approx.)
Salt to taste
1 scant tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp garam masala

Method
  1. Heat the oven to 170C.
  2. Cut the shallot in half lengthways (leave skin on). Drizzle olive oil onto a baking sheet or foil. Add the shallot halves and turn in the oil.
  3. Roast for 20 mins with skin side down. Turn the shallots to skin side up and roast for a further 5 mins or until completely tender.
  4. Allow to cool and peel off the skin.
  5. Add the mustard oil to a non-stick pan and heat. Gently fry the ginger and garlic for a few minutes then add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Cook for a few minutes and then add the mushrooms, water and vinegar (or lemon juice). Add salt to taste.
  6. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes (longer won’t hurt). Add a little more water if the pan dries out. You want to end up with mushrooms in a small amount of the spicy sauce. Too much will make the pizza soggy.
  7. Turn the the oven up to 200C.
  8. Add a little water to the tomato paste and then mix in garam masala (to taste).
  9. Roll out the pizza dough to desired shape and spread the tomato paste mixture over the base.
  10. Arrange the shallots and mushrooms on top.
  11. Bake the pizza for 10 to 12 mins.
  12. Drizzle with a little mustard oil (or olive oil) and a sprinkle of chilli flakes before serving.
fullsizeoutput_4d3a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4d0b.jpeg

You could of course use just one type of mushrooms here if you wish but the mixed mushrooms do look more dramatic. You could also add cheese of your choice in which case I’d put it under the mushrooms so that the mushroom shapes still stand out. I love the way the individual mustard seeds are visible on top and ‘pop’ in your mouth. Sprinkle chilli flakes on over before serving if you wish.

View attachment 29609

Pizza dough
125g mixed mushrooms
1 banana shallot
Olive oil
1/2 tbsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
4 tbsp water (approx.)
Salt to taste
1 tsp garam masala

Method
  2. Cut the shallot in half lengthways (leave skin on). Drizzle olive oil onto a baking sheet or foil. Add the shallot halves and turn in the oil.
  3. Roast for 20 mins with skin side down. Turn the shallots to skin side up and roast for a further 5 mins or until completely tender.
  5. Add the mustard oil to a non-stick pan and heat. Gently fry the ginger and garlic for a few minutes then add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Cook for a few minutes and then add the mushrooms, water and vinegar (or lemon juice). Add salt to taste.
  6. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes (longer won’t hurt). Add a little more water if the pan dries out. You want to end up with mushrooms in a small amount of the spicy sauce. Too much will make the pizza soggy.
  8. Add a little water to the tomato paste and then mix in garam masala (to taste).
  9. Roll out the pizza dough to desired shape and spread the tomato paste mixture over the base.
  12. Drizzle with a little mustard oil (or olive oil) and a sprinkle of chilli flakes before serving.
View attachment 29610

View attachment 29611
Wow...Vegan pizza. 5 months ago I would have scoffed at the idea of a Vegan pizza but after making the Vegan chili I can see how this recipe would work.

So the pizza sauce is basically tomato paste, water and garam masala?

View attachment 29609

Pizza dough
125g mixed mushrooms
1 banana shallot
Olive oil
1/2 tbsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
4 tbsp water (approx.)
Salt to taste
1 tsp garam masala

Method
View attachment 29610

View attachment 29611

Man that looks yummy, do you not add oregano and basil to your tomato base?

Russ

Wow...Vegan pizza. 5 months ago I would have scoffed at the idea of a Vegan pizza but after making the Vegan chili I can see how this recipe would work.

In this case yes! Using tomato paste is a quick trick I sometimes use and here I wanted a fairly dry tomato sauce to allow the mushroom sauce to be added over it - so this fitted the bill.

I was wondering how truffle oil would work with this instead of mustard oil (which I don't have but I have got truffle oil because it is used in some of my vegan cheese recipes including the new one which melts and is for pizzas... (not written up yet though)

I was wondering how truffle oil would work with this instead of mustard oil (which I don't have but I have got truffle oil because it is used in some of my vegan cheese recipes including the new one which melts and is for pizzas... (not written up yet though)

It would be great drizzled over the top but I think too strong (and expensive?) to cook in. I've never tried cooking things in truffle oil though. A tiny bottle costs lot here...

It costs a lot here as well. Trust me. But it features a lot in the recipes in 'This cheese is nuts' which is an excellent vegan cheese recipe book. In fact she uses 3 versions white truffle oil, black truffle oil and just truffle oil. We settled for 1 cheaper bottle and I'm just using the same for all recipes.

It costs a lot here as well. Trust me. But it features a lot in the recipes in 'This cheese is nuts' which is an excellent vegan cheese recipe book. In fact she uses 3 versions white truffle oil, black truffle oil and just truffle oil. We settled for 1 cheaper bottle and I'm just using the same for all recipes.

Go for it!

Now I'm gonna have to,buy truffle oil. :)

Russ

This is now on our menu for this coming week with a couple of minor changes. The first being in going to use a cauliflower based dough (from a diet point of view that will be better for me, I'm too fond of carbohydrates sadly) and because I want to try it, I'm going to make a vegan mozzarella.

Back
Top Bottom