Recipe Squid Stuffed with Crabmeat, Scallop, Sweet Potato, Apple, Mushroom

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
3:21 PM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Squid Stuffed With Seafood (and Some Veggies)

This was the result of a food challenge (not a contest) on Facebook where we had to make a stuffed seafood dish. I decided to stuff seafood with seafood, rather than picking one direction or the other.

stuffed-squid-11-2017-final.jpg

Stuffed, cooked, and served!

stuffed-squid-11-2017-stuffing.jpg

Prep time: Mostly during the sweet potato roasting time – about 20 minutes.
Cook time: Sweet potato for 45 minutes, pan fry for about 5 minutes, stuffed squid 35 minutes.
Rest time: Not necessary.
Serves: Two squid per person.

Squid Stuffed With Crabmeat, Scallops, Squid, Sweet Potato, Apple, Mushroom
  • 1 medium sized sweet potato
  • Cooking oil, perhaps a tablespoon. (I used bacon fat here)
  • 6-8 squid tubes, about 4-7 inches in length
  • squid tentacles.
  • 2 large button mushrooms, coarsely chopped
  • 4-5 large sea scallops, sliced into chunks
  • ounces of lump crabmeat
  • 1 apple, cored and diced. Skin may be kept on.
  • 2 scallions/green onions, diced. Slice the white parts thinner than the green parts, and keep separate.
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon tarragon
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
  • A teaspoon of cooking oil (grapeseed or avocado work nicely).
Clean the sweet potato, but you can leave the thin parts of skin on, if you wish.
Slice the sweet potato for quicker roasting, and coat with your choice of a cooking fat or oil. Wrap in aluminum foil and place in another pan to contain any drips.
Roast the potato at 425 F (218 C) for about 45 minutes.

Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Mash with a fork, and set aside.

Re-set the oven to 375 F (190 C) and continue prepping.
In a skillet with a little oil, cook the scallion whites and the mushrooms until the mushrooms are soft.

Clean the squid as needed… Chop up the tentacles and the squid “fins”.

In a bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, tentacles, fins, mushrooms, scallops, apple, scallions and spices. Mix with a large spoon or with your hands. Add in the lump crab meat towards the end of mixing, so you don’t break up the lumps.

Stuff the squid tubes, using a small spoon and fingers. Make sure the stuffing goes to the end of the tube. Don’t overstuff… squid will shrink upon cooking. However, none of these stuffing ingredients will expand, so don’t worry too much.

Place on lightly-oiled baking pan, lightly oiling (paper towel is useful) the tubes themselves all around.

Bake for 35 minutes.

Serving Suggestions:
  • Plan on two per person, especially if the squid bodies / tubes start as 6-7 inches. Perhaps serve with a fruit salad or a tossed leafy green salad with vinaigrette.
  • If the squid are small, consider serving them as appetizers for company. (Or, for yourselves!)
  • Leftover stuffing? I added some of this plus Provolone cheese to my omelet the next morning!

Back
Top Bottom