The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Basil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Puff Pastry/Pesto recipe

Recipe - Mock Pizza with Puff Pastry, Pesto and Italian Sausage

Recipe - Gin-Basil Smash

Ok, it's a cocktail, and it's easy to throw together, no exotic liqueurs required, just common stuff, and it's perfect for a brutally hot summer's day.

It's bright, it's fresh, it's sweet, and it's got that unmissable basil flavor that ensures this will not be the last one we have.

I love the fact that this is a drink made with fresh herbs, and it's inspired me to find others using the abundance of oregano, sage, and thyme that I find myself saddled with at the moment.

One note: I was going to make a bourbon-basil smash, but I know caseydog can't partake, and he loves bourbon, so that just seemed inappropriate, so I switched it up to a gin drink, because I know he hates gin. :)

Last edited:
I am with Casey on that one, I too hate gin! But it could easily be subbed out for vodka. And it looks quite refreshing.

Recipe - Gin-Basil Smash

Ok, it's a cocktail, and it's easy to throw together, no exotic liqueurs required, just common stuff, and it's perfect for a brutally hot summer's day.

It's bright, it's fresh, it's sweet, and it's got that unmissable basil flavor that ensures this will not be the last one we have.

I love the fact that this is a drink made with fresh herbs, and it's inspired me to find others using the abundance of oregano, sage, and thyme that I find myself saddled with at the moment.

One note: I was going to make a bourbon-basil smash, but I know caseydog can't partake, and he loves bourbon, so that just seemed inappropriate, so I switched it up to a gin drink, because I know he hates gin. :)

Wow, I am so grateful that you decided on a liquor that I don't like. That was very thoughtful. Makes me feel bad about all the things I've said about you behind your back. :whistling: :D

CD

Just a suggestion, but maybe fix yourself one of these drinks, THEN feel the inspiration flow. :drink:

Recipe - Balsamic-Basil Strawberries

Sun's out, big beautiful blue sky with fat popcorn clouds lazing by...what a good day for this recipe, and it's a winner.

Normally, I don't even care for strawberries, they're just a bit better than dingleberries in my book, but this concoction changed my mind.

I first made these a couple of years ago, for a "Movies In The Park" night, and I offered some to my friend and his wife...and they ate the lot. Now it's a summertime staple in our house.

What can I say? That bright tartness from the berries, paired with that richness of the vinegar, all cut with sweet honey, a little bite from the black pepper, and then there's the basil, suddenly reminding you that it's one of the Mint siblings, after all.

The recipe doesn't call for it, but I topped these with plain Greek yogurt mixed with some honey. Creme fraiche would have also been nice, and maybe mascarpone would have been a good choice, but I like the tartness of the first two.

Oh, and a nice glass of refreshing fruit wine fits perfectly. That's peach in the picture.

Recipe - Balsamic-Basil Strawberries

Sun's out, big beautiful blue sky with fat popcorn clouds lazing by...what a good day for this recipe, and it's a winner.

Normally, I don't even care for strawberries, they're just a bit better than dingleberries in my book, but this concoction changed my mind.

I first made these a couple of years ago, for a "Movies In The Park" night, and I offered some to my friend and his wife...and they ate the lot. Now it's a summertime staple in our house.

What can I say? That bright tartness from the berries, paired with that richness of the vinegar, all cut with sweet honey, a little bite from the black pepper, and then there's the basil, suddenly reminding you that it's one of the Mint siblings, after all.

The recipe doesn't call for it, but I topped these with plain Greek yogurt mixed with some honey. Creme fraiche would have also been nice, and maybe mascarpone would have been a good choice, but I like the tartness of the first two.

Oh, and a nice glass of refreshing fruit wine fits perfectly. That's peach in the picture.

Absolutely lovely.
I also liked the way you talked about this staple, very well described.

No please, not mascarpone, so heavy! Greek yogurt and honey it’s just perfect, a butterfly on those strawberries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom