The CookingBites recipe challenge: cabbage/kale/Brussels sprouts

Savoury Pirog

Recipe & Video - Pirog

Not an entry, but I made a stir fried veggies snd rice dish tonight using shrimp, kale, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts among other things. It was a great way to use cut up veggies from my frig and it was really tasty!

I added the kale and cabbage near the very end as I don't like them cooked. I just stirred them in to slightly wilt and warm so they retained their crunch.

Last edited:
This was going to be an entry, but it needs some work before I post a recipe. The concept is right on, but the execution needs tweaking. It was good, and I enjoyed eating it, but it needs some seasoning adjustments, and it was hard to eat as a finger food, which is what I intended. The bacon and sprouts did NOT stay together like I wanted.

Basically, I boiled some Brussels sprouts in salted water for five minutes to par cook, then shocked them in ice water to set the bright green color, then wrapped them in thin sliced bacon, and roasted them in the oven until the bacon was done. The boiling and ice bath did exactly what I wanted, just par cook and shock. The bacon was perfect, too, but fell off of the sprouts way to easily. I feel that I needed to be more aggressive with the seasoning on the sprouts.

Bacon and Brussels sprouts are definitely made for each other. I just need to work out a better way to marry them together, and season the sprouts more.

Like I said, I ate them, and enjoyed them, but I still consider them a work in progress.

I took a picture just because I had everything set up for a picture. Why not?

Sprouts001.jpg

Part of the adventure in cooking without a tried and tested recipe.

CD

Bacon and Brussels sprouts are definitely made for each other
Totally agree - a perfect combination.
Did you think about cocktail sticks/toothpicks to keep them together?
As for seasoning, I´ve made sprouts & bacon with:
Walnuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, cashew nuts
Sunflower kernels, pumpkin kernels, sesame seeds
Honey, brown sugar, maple syrup (but definitely not Aunt Jemima´s:D:D)

Hello everyone,
so sorry I was not following, it got a little hectic, but all is fine, I wil get to the rest of apres 21 to 32 recipes right away. Laundry can wait...
Thank you all so much for all the love for cooking and the challenge ingredients!
I hope to write the decision by tomorrow morning, I do want to sleep over it. Have a lovely what is here evening, may be other where you are...:)

Hello everyone,
so sorry I was not following, it got a little hectic, but all is fine, I wil get to the rest of apres 21 to 32 recipes right away. Laundry can wait...
Thank you all so much for all the love for cooking and the challenge ingredients!
I hope to write the decision by tomorrow morning, I do want to sleep over it. Have a lovely what is here evening, may be other where you are...:)

Please take your time. 32 recipes is a fantastic number but hard to judge. We can easily wait for your decision.

Totally agree - a perfect combination.
Did you think about cocktail sticks/toothpicks to keep them together?
As for seasoning, I´ve made sprouts & bacon with:
Walnuts, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, cashew nuts
Sunflower kernels, pumpkin kernels, sesame seeds
Honey, brown sugar, maple syrup (but definitely not Aunt Jemima´s:D:D)

I used toothpicks to hold them together while they roasted. I took them out to serve/photograph.

I should have cut the boiled and shocked sprouts in half, so they would be bite size in the end. Whole, the first bite made the sprouts and bacon completely come apart.

CD

Hi everyone,
my heart was beating faster and stronger, not just last night and this morning in the early hours, when I was reviewing all my notes and reflecting on all your recipes, and picking out winning recipes, but I am sure it will beat stronger every time I recreate on of your fantastic recipes. We have had 32 amazing recipes and I will certainly be trying many of them. For sure, the recipes were inspiring for all members who followed the challenge. Thank you so so much for your efforts, time and investment you put into this challenge. Congratulations to everyone!

I strongly decided for Colcannon, beacuse it is mastery in simplicity, flexibility and execution, as well as tradition.

With that many entries I was inspired to add subcategory winners, and as Morning Glory allowed me to do this, here they are.

WINNER: SatNavSaysStraightOn with Colcannon

2ND PLACE split between: Morning Glory with Hake fillet with cavolo nero and sabayon sauce and Karadekoolaid with Asian style Coleslaw

3RD PLACE split between: JAS_OH1 with Kale quinoa power bowl and TastyReuben with Polish Kraut & Apples

Subcategory winners
My favourite choices for:
Best invention: : TheLateNightGourmet with Brusselskraut
Best stew: Karadekoolaid with Blue Mountain Stew (Muttakos Sambhar)
Best takeaway: Murphyscreek with Chiko Roll
Best use of noodles/pasta and challenge ingredient: TastyReuben with Beef & Noodles Deluxe
Best burger: Medtran49 with Irish Burgers
Best leftover use: MountainCat with Lamb Broth Soup with Brussels Sprouts
Best traditional: split between MadeByYouandI Okonomiyaki and Kaneohegirlinaz Oven Kalua Pig and Cabbage
Most intriguing split between: SatNavySaysStraightOn with Pizza Flavoured Kale Crisps and Morning Glory with Bengali Style Cabbage with Kalonji Seeds
Best use of red cabbage: TheLateNightGourmet with Cabbage Roll Tamales
Best snack: JAS_OH1 with Gluten Free Kale and Cabbage Eggbites
Best slow bake: MorningGlory with Slow Cooked Red Cabbage
Best toast & challenge ingredient: TastyReuben with Rye Toast with Roastbeef & Coleslaw

Wishing you a lovely Sunday, with much love
TS

Last edited by a moderator:
NB, I typed in my Word, and the bolds popped out of nowhere after pasting the text into the post...I have no clue why, but it was not intended to be bold randomly, sorry for the tech misshap. Bye!:chef::love:

Back
Top Bottom