The CookingBites recipe challenge: cabbage/kale/Brussels sprouts

Not an entry, but what we had for dinner this evening

IMG_1431.JPG

Fresh Kale and oodles of Garlic, sautéed in Olive Oil and then braised in Chicken Stock and wine to a crisp-tender, oh and a goodly grate of fresh Nutmeg.
I read somewhere years back, that freshly grated Nutmeg heightens the taste of dark Leafy Greens.
This was all served with grilled/BBQ Salmon fillets and the every present steamed White Rice... after photo there was Shoyu (aka Soy Sauce) and Furikake topping the Rice :p:

Last edited:
Ok, this is my last one for this challenge:

Recipe - Cabbage Gratin

Reading through the ingredients, I thought that with the egg, this would bake up as more of a frittata-style dish, or one of those breakfast casserole thingies that's so popular at B&B's (at least over here)...and I was right.

Not that that's a bad thing.

Due to the egg, this has a lot more body than it would have if I'd just used cream, like I do most of the time, and I think that helps with the cabbage, as it's not as substantial as, say, a potato gratin. This was a nice little change.

I did substitute some red cabbage in, just for some visual contrast, and because I had it on hand and needed to use it. I also grated over a a touch of nutmeg.

I had three other cabbage recipes picked out, but those will have to wait for another day, another challenge. Those were a German cabbage soup, a braised red cabbage dish with mushrooms and hazelnuts, and a hot cabbage slaw.

Cabbage Roll Tamales. Just out of the oven:

E765F441-3B57-4F14-B28F-3B96DC4839C8.jpeg

And, finished product:

3EB803F1-AC49-4701-B480-93A7570FA4DA.jpeg

It’s beautiful and delicious. But, I’m not about to leave my wife and run off with this recipe. I don’t love it that much. The cabbage leaf as the wrapper adds a refreshing, slightly sweet character that works perfectly with my spicy homemade chorizo. But, it’s too thick to work like a tamale wrapper. It’s very messy because there’s little give to the skin, so the filling gets pushed out. Still tasty enough that I will probably make it again.

Last edited:
My Portuguese Bean Soup

IMG_1436.JPG

This Soup has a wonderful "mouth feel" to it from that lovely Ham Hock Broth.
I've seen some recipes that call for you to skim away all of that gorgeous fat that floats up to the top, why?

Now I pick only the meat from the Hocks and tossed the skin, fat and bones, others love that bit too ... it's up to you.

I had a head of Green Cabbage that needed to be used, but you could use any kind of Cabbage that you prefer.

Also, I used a waxy Potato, Yukon Gold-skin on, you use what you have and like. If you did use a Baking Potato or Russet, the texture of the Soup will be thicker.

Back
Top Bottom