The CookingBites recipe challenge: capers/caper berries

which aren't vegan but I know you eat a lot of them
I don't actually eat that many eggs. 1 a week normally. I'm very sensitive to cholesterol in them and with the ongoing issues with heart problems in my family (AF caused by mother's stroke, though my brother's stroke cause is probably MS related) plus most family deaths being related to heart issues, I have to be very careful.
Ottolenghi has quite a few vegan recipes with capers.
I'll have a look. But like I said, so far I've failed to find anything. I do know the Irish vegetarian chef we have cookbooks for uses them, but he is very heavily into dairy and a lot of Irish speciality cheese that even in the UK we had trouble sourcing when I was able to eat dairy. Nowadays most of those cookbooks see limited use, but they are dedicated to us and signed by the author so we'll hang on to them. (We used to go to his cafe in Cork which back at the turn of the millennium was a revelation in Ireland. )

I've used capers in potato salad before. That recipe looks like decent inspiration, although I would make a few changes. The lentils and kale would have to go, for sure. Using both beans and potatoes seems redundant to me. As for kale, I just don't like it.

I can think a a few additions, too, but I'm going to keep those to myself. :D

CD

I've used capers in potato salad before. That recipe looks like decent inspiration, although I would make a few changes. The lentils and kale would have to go, for sure. Using both beans and potatoes seems redundant to me. As for kale, I just don't like it.

I can think a a few additions, too, but I'm going to keep those to myself. :D

CD

I like kale so long as its just leaf and the tough parts are removed.
I also like lentils with potatoes in a casserole so think it might work but I look forward to hearing your changes.

Using both beans and potatoes seems redundant to me
Unless it was an Indian dish, I'd probably agree with you, but you could say the same about a mixed grill!. And kale - HUGE hype over this stuff. Some recipes seem to think it's the superfood of the millenium, and your health will be seriously damaged if you don't include it in your diet... when really, it's just another kind of cabbage. I'm surprised no-one's written "An Ode to Kale" :laugh:

Beans and lentils provide protein which is useful in a vegan meal.
I'm with you. Keep the beans and lentils, I'd keep the kale as well because I like it (home grown) and ditch the potatoes. Unnecessary carbs (and I could easily live off potatoes but have only harvested 50kg of them this season)... :D

I find the kale thing quite funny as we grew up on it.
One of the standard Dutch winter dishes. Kale mashed with potatoes, with smoked sausage and gravy and vinegar.
But we would only eat kale after the frost had been over it. I suppose that reduced the bitterness that I hear people talk about as I never tasted any of that :)

Back
Top Bottom