The CookingBites recipe challenge: chilli peppers

They are everywhere, here in Texas. Many different kinds, too. Ask Rocklobster. :laugh:

CD
I did manage to find some larger dried chilis at the gourmet shop, but I’m wanting something skinny and small, as a garnish to a cocktail I want to submit.

I can get some dried slices, I suppose I could float those in it.

…and what is it about dried whole chilies? I can’t find any at any of the easy-to-get-to shops!
Down this way, there are plenty of Mexican groceries. you can pick up all sorts of dried chiles: ancho, guajillo, chilpotle, pasilla, etc. There´s a store about 10 minutes away from Madeira!

There´s a store about 10 minutes away from Madeira!
Yeah, that’s the problem, though…that’s not an “easy-to-get-to” shop for me, especially since I’m working during the day and trying to get a jump on my Thanksgiving cooking.

Normally, my local Kroger (and Walmart) would carry something as basic as dried whole cayenne, so I could nip out and back and be done with it, but not now.

This is a typical Mexican condiment and is not, necessarily, that hot. Just depends on whether the jalapeños (which are failry mild chiles, usually) were really mild, or a bit hot. These are great with BBQs, hot dogs, burgers, Mexican food in general, breakfast eggs, etc. My kitchen used to be about 50 mts from a McDs, so I´d buy my cheeseburger and fries, take it back to the kitchen and doctor it with these little blighters.
Jalapeños en Escabeche

A question I should have asked you earlier Yorky: are ground/powdered chillies and chilli flakes eligible for challenge recipes?

I will almost certainly use ground chilis, but, I'll grind them myself from dried chilis. Certainly that has to be allowed??? Of course, my problem will be to get my butt in gear, and make something to enter.

CD

I will almost certainly use ground chilis, but, I'll grind them myself from dried chilis. Certainly that has to be allowed??? Of course, my problem will be to get my butt in gear, and make something to enter.

CD

Yeah - I'm sure that's fine. I just wanted to check that 'ready-made' chilli powder or flakes were OK.

Now get cooking!

Back
Top Bottom