The CookingBites recipe challenge: ham

First one from me:

Recipe - Split Pea & Ham Soup

Split pea & ham soup might just be MrsT's favorite soup. I like it, even if it looks a little...unfortunate (but hey, I eat mushy peas, so I should quit pickin' on the soup!). It was a natural as a first choice.

Because of that, I was quite excited when I found a recipe for a pot o' the pottage that, well, didn't look like the usual batch. Instead of a lumpy green sludge with bits of orange flecks and pork peeking through, this recipe showed a soup with everything, including the peas, intact and swimming in a nice, clear chicken-noodle-soup-style broth. Perfect! All the taste, none of the mucky yuckiness. Yes!

As you can see in my pics below, it was not to be. I didn't even simmer this for as long as it called for, and the peas still cooked down to a lumpy sludge comforting velvet, looking like all the past split pea soups I've made.

Not to worry, not to worry, because as luck would have it, it tasted just fine - nice and hearty, great for the weather we've been having (40F/5C, windy, and the occasional pizz of rain). I had a bowl at...5:30PMish and still feel full at 10PM, and I didn't even have my usual cookie before bed.

The soup itself couldn't be easier to make, brilliant in its simplicity, and I'll add for those interested that by using low-sodium deli ham (Boar's Head), this soup is extremely Weight Watchers friendly, coming in at something like a mere 2 points for a generous cupful.

First one from me:

Recipe - Split Pea & Ham Soup

Split pea & ham soup might just be MrsT's favorite soup. I like it, even if it looks a little...unfortunate (but hey, I eat mushy peas, so I should quit pickin' on the soup!). It was a natural as a first choice.

Because of that, I was quite excited when I found a recipe for a pot o' the pottage that, well, didn't look like the usual batch. Instead of a lumpy green sludge with bits of orange flecks and pork peeking through, this recipe showed a soup with everything, including the peas, intact and swimming in a nice, clear chicken-noodle-soup-style broth. Perfect! All the taste, none of the mucky yuckiness. Yes!

As you can see in my pics below, it was not to be. I didn't even simmer this for as long as it called for, and the peas still cooked down to a lumpy sludge comforting velvet, looking like all the past split pea soups I've made.

Not to worry, not to worry, because as luck would have it, it tasted just fine - nice and hearty, great for the weather we've been having (40F/5C, windy, and the occasional pizz of rain). I had a bowl at...5:30PMish and still feel full at 10PM, and I didn't even have my usual cookie before bed.

The soup itself couldn't be easier to make, brilliant in its simplicity, and I'll add for those interested that by using low-sodium deli ham (Boar's Head), this soup is extremely Weight Watchers friendly, coming in at something like a mere 2 points for a generous cupful.

Looks great! Haven’t had this in years, you’ve got me craving it now.

Ms. Mofet's Split Pea Soup

pea_soup_120322_IMG_0373.jpg

Second one from me, a very simple salad:

Recipe - Dutch Salad

Don't let the ease of this salad deceive...this is very satisfying, either as a first course, or as a light meal (possibly with the addition of an egg). There really isn't much else to say about it, as it's simply lettuce tossed in a warm vinaigrette featuring diced ham.

This comes from Vincent Price's (yes, that Vincent Price) historical cookbook, "Come into the Kitchen Cook Book," which offers recipes he'd collected from different periods of American history. This one dates to antebellum America, so roughly 1820ish-1860ish.

I posted this recipe last December: Pan de Jamón ( Venezuelan Ham Bread)
However, since the recipe has already been posted (not in a competition) I can´t use it, right?
Never mind - can I leave it here as a stimulus??
Good - the judges said yes, so here´s a video of my mate Juan Carlos making ham bread. I met him about 20 years ago, when I was just starting in the chutney biz and he was just starting in the bread biz. Anytime this bloke makes bread - it´s phenomenal. Doesn´t matter if you don´t speak Spanish, because the technique is what´s important. You can clearly see how the bread is constructed and the recipe will give you the ingredients.

View attachment 93580
Love the vid! I am absolutely going to make this now, no doubt about it.
I do love the techniques he uses while making that. The cutting of the bread at the end is great, almost looked like a roll of Porchetta.

I think I’m too busy until after New Year but I will be posting this up once I give it a go! I love how most cultures have their own versions of stuffed bread. Russians have Piroshki, Italians have Stromboli or Calzones etc. This looks like an excellent dish and I can’t wait to make it!

Last edited:
Right - since I´ve already posted the Pan de Jamón, here´s another Venezuelan favourite. Cachitos (Ham-filled Breakfast Rolls)
You can find these in any Bakery, first thing in the morning (and I mean, any time after 4am), piping hot and fresh. Cachitos are small, slightly sweet bread rolls filled with ham. As easy as that. Sometimes, they´re filled with cheese, but as a semi-dedicated vegetarian, I prefer the ones filled with ham. :D :D .
The key, for me, is to make sure the bread is soft and spongy. Dry rolls are abhorrent!
Cachitos 12 minutes.jpg
cachito half eaten.jpg

Here's my third one:

Retro Recipe - Creamed Eggs with Ham

You may notice I prefixed this one with Retro Recipe - for some reason, this reminds me of something someone would order at a department store lunch counter (back when those still existed) circa 1951 or so.

Take it apart, and it's a bechamel with hard-boiled eggs and ham added, served over toast, so maybe it's a cousin of Sh-- on a Shingle, without the, um, earthy name. Maybe that makes it just a tad more acceptable. I know MrsT, a real aficionado of chipped beef gravy on just about anything, was very pleased to have this plopped down in front of her.

Simple ingredients, simple prep...that's what it's about, and this is a dish that's open to endless variation. Reading through some online, I found a version made with capers and another one with chopped dill pickles.

D3BABF91-3E6D-42FA-A153-102AC53A76AD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom