The CookingBites recipe challenge: ham

Not a record number of entries this time, and three of the entries were the same dish. But, the holidays fell right in the middle of the challenge, so I'm not surprised.

I could think of all kinds of reasons to pick any one over the others, but it came down to what I most wanted to eat right now. It is rather cold outside right now, and that white bean and ham soup was calling to me.

So the win goes to TastyReuban (and his mentor, Jaques Pepin). Recipe - White Bean and Ham Stew (Garbure)

CD

Well, first off, thanks for the selection, I appreciate it. What can I say, it’s good soup weather!

I was going to interview the winner, post-game style, but that would just look stupid now, huh?

“Tasty, your entry was probably the greatest single edible thing ever created by humankind, simply amazing, really a work of art, actually, it’s insulting to your dish to call it art as it’s so much better than any crap art out there, and I’m not just saying that because I’m actually Tasty. Any thoughts?”

“Yeah, um, I just went out there and, ah, played within myself and took it to the next level and, um, left everything on the field and, uh, brought my A-game. Thank you Jesus, and I’m going to Disneyworld!”

:laugh:

I’ll get an ingredient choice up for the next challenge sometime tomorrow. A big thanks to everyone for participating!

@TastyReuben balls in your court now buddy.
Well, I checked, and they’re right where I last left them… :whistling:

“Tasty, your entry was probably the greatest single edible thing ever created by humankind, simply amazing, really a work of art, actually, it’s insulting to your dish to call it art as it’s so much better than any crap art out there, and I’m not just saying that because I’m actually Tasty. Any thoughts?”

“Yeah, um, I just went out there and, ah, played within myself and took it to the next level and, um, left everything on the field and, uh, brought my A-game. Thank you Jesus, and I’m going to Disneyworld!”

TastyReuben - sometimes I worry about you, you know... Sounds like you´ve been conferring with the Duke of Sussex.

So the win goes to TastyReuban (and his mentor, Jaques Pepin). Recipe - White Bean and Ham Stew (Garbure)

It looked so good and is my sort of food. Congratulations!

Once the new ingredient is chosen, all you lovely members have to get cooking because usually TastyReuben submits at least 5 entries and obviously can't because he is the new judge. Usually I submit quite a few too (currently I'm rather limited due to the broken leg). We are relying on the rest of you to fill the next challenge with lots of delicious entries!

Ok, I’m looking around my kitchen and I spy with my little eye…oranges.

How do folks feel about that? Use the juice, use the whole fruit, use the zest, sweet, savory, works in cocktails, marinades, it’s a versatile thing.

Any interest in oranges?

How do folks feel about that? Use the juice, use the whole fruit, use the zest, sweet, savory, works in cocktails, marinades, it’s a versatile thing.

Any interest in oranges?

Oranges are certainly versatile. I like the way they can be used sweet or savoury.

Any interest in oranges?

What would the vegan substitutes be? Oh wait... never mind.

CD :D

What would the vegan substitutes be? Oh wait... never mind.

CD :D
Hopefully something other than oranges! They and I don't get on very well. :( I do eat them occasionally when in season, but only in season. Hubby says I'm the only person he knows that not only peels the orange, but removesthe membrane as well. They're not in season here sadly

Hopefully something other than oranges! They and I don't get on very well. :( I do eat them occasionally when in season, but only in season. Hubby says I'm the only person he knows that not only peels the orange, but removesthe membrane as well. They're not in season here sadly

Any issues with other citrus fruit? Maybe the challenge could be a more general citrus challenge.

Hubby says I'm the only person he knows that not only peels the orange, but removesthe membrane as well.
Believe it or not, that's exactly how I eat them.

I peel them, separate them into segments, then I break each segment across the width and peel back the membrane, or I use a small knife to split each segment lengthwise, then open it up and just eat the juicy little bundles inside. It's messy business, but it's worth it. Yum!

Any issues with other citrus fruit? Maybe the challenge could be a more general citrus challenge.
In the interest of getting this challenge down in the books and the next one started, I'm going to go ahead and set it up for oranges, but as always, there'll be room for dickering and fine-tuning, I'm sure. I hear the new judge is a real butthead, but we'll whip him into shape in no time! :laugh:

I'm a tad better with others, in that I like lemon and lime flavoured stuff, but not orange flavoured stuff. I'll drink grapefruit juice and eat them, but not orange. Can't stand orange flavoured anything.
The bigger issue with citrus all round is the acidity because I have something called a "chronic geographic tongue "

basically anything acidic or strongly alkaline burns holes into my tongue. It's a firm of psoriasis but in the mouth. There's no treatment sadly though if i keep my zinc levels high via oral liquid supplements, it does lessenthe problem. The best description i can give is if you were to bite your tongue to the point of bleeding and then drink neat lemon juice, that's what it is like for me all the time. Most adults will suffer from it at some point in their life, so a short period of time, but i have it all the time. When is really bad, i can't eat or drink even water which has hospitalised me on one occasion during heat wave in the UK. It's why i don't like fizzy drinks, squashes, most cordials, most sweets (e.g. rhubarb and custard or cola bottles, lolly pops and so on. Banana, pineapple are really bad, apples, pears, and other fruits i have to be careful with. Some times I'm OK with some fruit and the next day, identical fruit literally burns holes in my tongue. The name "geographic tongue" is after the contours of a map, because that's what your tongue looks like during a particularly bad episode. It's hereditary by the way.

For me, the tongue hurts very badly. One trick I have found over the years to keep fluid intake up, is to use a straw at times when it's really bad.

Everything you need to know about geographic tongue this link explains more and shows some images.

Back
Top Bottom