The CookingBites recipe challenge: ham

Well, I had a 4th entry, but I already posted it in another form, so I'll just post some pics since it's not eligible for entry:

Those are ham balls, another form of the ham loaf recipe I posted during the meatloaf Dish of the Month topic a while back.

We always have meatballs of some sort during the run up to Christmas, and these make a great alternative to beef-centric ones. These have a slightly lighter flavor, and the basting sauce bakes down to a super sticky sweet-and-sour syrup. Delicious!

PXL_20221222_234014698.jpg

My latest entry:

Recipe - White Bean and Ham Stew (Garbure)

5097D2AC-CE04-4F95-90B0-1F73FF2E3D48.jpeg

I love learning something new and finding a connection to my own experience. Such was the case with this soup. To me, this is simply bean and ham soup (though admittedly a deluxe version), a staple growing up (and to this day).

Poking through my cookbooks, though, I found this recipe, and it gave the “proper” French name as garbure, so I learned that today.

On to the soup itself…this is so, so comforting. Velvety, smoky broth, filling beans and potatoes, sweet carrots, and a little unexpected edge from the parsnip, and no need to blend any of the soup - it thickens right up on its own.

While this would be welcome any time of the year, the addition of the carrots, potatoes, and parsnip makes this extra hearty and perfect for the coldest winter’s night.

A couple of notes: I didn’t have enough red-skinned potatoes, so I used a mix of red and baby Yukons.

Also, the recipe calls for giving this something of a French onion soup treatment, with crusty bread and cheese atop, but where I’m from, bean and ham soup is served with cornbread and nothing else - no bread, no crackers, no (American) biscuits…cornbread or nothing at all, so I served it with a previous challenge entry, jalapeño-cheddar cornbread.

Last one from me:

Recipe - Ham & Potato Chip/Crisp Tortilla

Hey, it’s got chips/crisps in it, so I’m pretty sure I’m going to love it, and I do!

The “secret” ingredient (can’t really call it a secret if it’s in the name):

2B4C618E-CC4A-4D2B-B73B-23CDB8564EC8.jpeg

Not sure this is a promising start:

38D30B29-2F8F-4A5D-A2BD-55C4A703D256.jpeg

But the finished product is quite good:

I know this is a ham challenge, but I really like the addition of the chips/crisps in there. They soften in the egg, but they’re still detectable in the taste (especially these, as they’re jalapeño-flavored chips/crisps).

Easy and fun…what else do you need?

I´ve got a couple more BUT, unfortunately, (a) I´m in the wrong place to prepare them (although I´ve prepared them many times and (b) I´ve got no photo records of them. So short of stealing photos from the web, no go.

IMG_6163.JPG

(file photo)
Not an entry, because I made these a whiles back ...
I was going to make this again today for my Neighborhood Gal Pal Happy Hour, but my Pillsbury Crescent Rolls were beyond their expiration date and NO BUENO! :facepalm:
But, here ya go - Pillsbury® Ham & Cheese Pinwheel Sandwiches
We really like these!
A salad, maybe some fruit and you've got a meal.

Just as a reminder to everyone, it's 8:30pm now on the final day of this challenge ingredient. That means there is only roughly 3½ hrs from the timestamp of this badge before the challenge ends. To date there are only 11 entries so if you have something to write up, now is the time to do it.

We’ve passed the deadline and the ham challenge is officially closed to further entries. Thanks to everyone who participated in the challenge. I think we saw some excellent recipes!

caseydog...over to you to name a winner.

I had 4 more entries planned but as most know, due to a broken leg I'm unable to cook anything! When I got back from hospital my son said 'why have you got so much ham in the fridge?'.
We need a 🎭 emoji added to the Like options. I feel awful for your broken leg, of course, but the comment from your son did make me chuckle just a little. :)

Back
Top Bottom