The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: honey

She also pointed out that I've made piña coladas before, which are technically smoothies, and therefore, my opposition to making smoothies is not logical.

I'm on your side. I have a pathological hate of smoothies. I even hate the word! However, given the circumstances a honey smoothie could be in order.

Veal shins with orange, ginger and honey

I even hate the word!
Me, too! It's too cute, like it's trying too hard to be liked. :laugh:

My opposition in this case, though, is this going all-in, so to speak, for something that's going to last two or three days, tops.

If the doc had said, "You have to consume smoothies from now on," I'd be all over that. I'd be Mr. Smoothie. I'd make a smoothie a day for her. No problem.

But for two or three days? Just eat ice cream.

I'm about to post the groceries we just bought. Much of it is because of this surgery, and I'll bet most of it will remain after this surgery is a distant memory; for example, two packets of pudding (aka custard) mix, plus eight individual containers of pudding. Each of those packets makes three cups of pudding. She didn't eat that much pudding all of last year, so do I think she's somehow going to eat all that pudding over the next week?

And that's just the pudding!

Also, I still count smoothies as a fad food, even though they've been around forever now. :laugh:

I'm on your side. I have a pathological hate of smoothies. I even hate the word! However, given the circumstances a honey smoothie could be in order.
I absolutely love smoothies and fruities - and even their names. That may be a language related thing: fruitie sounds like "ruuti" (Finn.) which means gunpowder :hyper:. Smoothies and fruities aren't considered fad food here; just a healthier version of traditional ice creamy milk shakes - and as far as I can tell, they've been made for decades. Basically everybody with a freezer (filled with local summer berries) makes smoothies and fruities during the cold months to get some vitamin C. Furthermore, smoothies and fruities can be replenished/complemented with all kind of goodies like exotic spices, grated zests and root vegetables, crushed nuts and almonds, grains, seeds, greens, booze,... You name it. In terms of hot and cold drinks, honey is one of the best sweeteners.

Last edited:
Nothing you can say will convince me... baby food I call it. If I want to eat fruit, I eat fruit. Particularly horrible are the savoury versions using kale. :happy:
Baby food? Well oh damn it, Morning Glory. :cheers:. It's exciting how food evokes emotions and strong opinions. I agree that most green or brownish health smoothies (packed with seaweed, kale or cabbage, spinach, goji berries, sunflower seeds, linseeds and/or sprouts) taste disgusting, weird or bland. But baby food tastes like...well, tasteless purée. Smoothies and fruities usually taste fresh, sweet, tangy or savory: light or deep and full of flavor. I usually make a ruby red fruitie with strawberries, red currants, orange juice and a spoonful of honey or a ripe, sweet banana. I like that mushy combination better than eating frozen strawberries, sour currants, pure honey, spotty bananas or film/skin-covered pieces of orange separately. If I want to eat fruit, I eat fruit. If I want to eat berries, I eat berries. If I want a smoothie or fruitie, I make one.

There are many ingredients which taste good both naturally (raw/cooked/steamed) and prepared in a baby food manner (puréed/ mashed/whipped alone or in combination with other ingredients) - so why should one make an exception with fruit and berries?
mousse.jpg

Photos from various websites.

Back to honey... Honey contains more than 200 different substances, the majority of which are different types of sugar. There are many types of honey (depending on the native plant) but I can't taste the difference despite maybe noticing more sweetness in some honey varieties. My favorite honey is a Swedish brand which can be kept in the fridge while keeping a soft texture for taking neat, non-gluey spoonfuls.

I love all the entries you've posted so far! I've found some intriguing honey recipes from Finnish sites as well. To mention a couple: honey potatoes with onion, pickled cucumbers and dragoon served with sausage and oven-cooked herring with lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, honey and thyme. Thinbreads made with plain flour, cottage cheese and grated apple and topped with runny honey, sesame seeds or almond flakes looked tasty too - as did this mushroom risotto with honey and young (edible) spruce sprigs/shoots.

huna.PNG

photo: hunajainensam.fi

Last edited:
Nothing you can say will convince me... baby food I call it. If I want to eat fruit, I eat fruit. Particularly horrible are the savoury versions using kale. :happy:
If you ever lived somewhere that had temperatures over 90F (32C) on a regular basis for more than 5 months a year, you would appreciate smoothies more. Also they are a great vehicle for protein, collagen, or other types of nutritional supplements. I found smoothies when I was in my early 20s living in Florida and found them wonderful. Also great spiked with rum (wink wink TastyReuben).

Edited to add that yes, pureed kale is not a smoothie. YUCK. Oh, but wait...don't some of you English folks like pureed peas? Shudder.

I like smoothies, although not the weird ones. When I make them at home, I use frozen fruit. Frozen fruit is picked when fully ripe, so it has full flavor, but the thawed texture is only good for cooking or... smoothies. Using frozen fruit, you can also use less ice, for a stronger flavor. But, I will take peaches and strwberries in mine, and someone else can have the wheat grass and kale.

CD

Back
Top Bottom