The CookingBites recipe challenge: minced/ground meat or fish (or meat alternative)

I had to find out if it would work. I figured I didn’t need to freeze the, er, meat. Worst case, is it even possible to ruin Spam?

Feel free to imagine Also sprach Zarathustra (the monolith sequence from the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey) playing while you look at this picture. I certainly did.

CE66CA76-4B9C-407A-A2AB-20C14268A7F8.jpeg

Unlike other meat-ish things, Spam slices evenly.

91731747-CC0E-410D-81A8-421DC8E7AD4B.jpeg

I also didn’t need to freeze the components of the grinder, which is so crucial when grinding raw meats. Not so here.

7341EDF6-4A19-45BF-A2FA-5596851A3823.jpeg

I will make something with this, which I am calling:

Deconstructed Spam

Did I just turn it back into ham?

I had to find out if it would work. I figured I didn’t need to freeze the, er, meat. Worst case, is it even possible to ruin Spam?

Feel free to imagine Also sprach Zarathustra (the monolith sequence from the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey) playing while you look at this picture. I certainly did.

View attachment 86962

Unlike other meat-ish things, Spam slices evenly.

View attachment 86963

I also didn’t need to freeze the components of the grinder, which is so crucial when grinding raw meats. Not so here.

View attachment 86964

I will make something with this, which I am calling:

Deconstructed Spam

Did I just turn it back into ham?

Can't wait to see what you do!

5C485207-87B2-48AC-A6A3-3772D939B383.jpeg

Corned Spam Hash. As Anton Chekov famously said, Spam that's shown in the first act must be used by the third act. He might well have been talking about a gun in the context of a play, but no matter. The point is, I showed you ground Spam, and here's where it ended up.

The corned part is achieved by adding a seasoning that's used to make corned beef. It won't trick you into thinking it's actual corned beef, of course: the consistency is different, and the Spam has its own flavor. But, it tastes good. And, be honest: if you put a fried egg on something, you're going to eat it, right?

Last edited:
Nothing ground (meat)-breaking, but it works:

Recipe - Italian Turkey Sausage

I used this in the one-pot spaghetti I made yesterday, in place of the usual Italian sausage I'd normally reach for:

I'll say the seasonings in the mix certainly did come through, and combined with everything else, the fact that it was turkey and not pork wasn't all that noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom