The CookingBites recipe challenge: nuts or seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
A drupe as far as I understand it is the name for a fleshy fruit surrounding a single seed. So pumpkins (for example) aren't drupes
It seems to depend upon the flower itself. Raspberries are drupes because they come from "1 flower with many pistils forming 1 fused-"fruit"".

Before we go and construct a long list of culinary nuts & culinary seeds, ask yourself if you can actually source them and use them in the timeframe of this challenge.
So assuming The Late Night Gourmet agrees, your nut or seed will need to be on this list to count towards this challenge.

I've put together a list based on the culinary definition of "nuts & seeds" which is based on the nutritional content of a seed being similar to that of a nut - so high protein is the key requirement. (≡ 56 Awesome Edible Nuts and Seeds List with Benefits & FAQs). The only entries on that list that I've excluded are nutmeg and soybean.

Types of nuts in culinary terms,

Acorn (Special prep needed)
Almond
Beech nuts
Brazil nut
Bread Nuts
Candlenut
Cashew
Cedar nuts
Chestnuts, including: Chinese chestnut, Japanese chestnut, Sweet chestnut, Chilean hazel,
Gabon nuts
Ginko nuts
Guinea peanut
Hazelnuts, including: Filbert
Hickory, including: Pecan, Shagbark hickory
Kola nut
Macadamia
Malabar almond
Malabar chestnut
Mamoncillo
Mongongo
Ogbono
Paradise nut
Peacan
Pili
Pine nuts
Pistachio
Shea nut
Tiger nut
Walnuts, including: Black walnut, White Walnut and so on

Types of seeds
from a culinary definition: the nutrient profiles of seeds are also very similar to those of nuts (so high protein, high oil /fat content).

chia seeds
flax seeds/linseed
hemp seeds
poppy seeds
psyllium seeds
pumpkin seeds
safflower seeds
sesame seeds
sunflower seeds

Oddities/Additions
Peanuts (classified as nuts due to their similar characteristics to other tree nuts)
Coconut

If you think something is missing off this list and you are able to obtain it and use it, use the report button and we will discuss and update this list accordingly.

So, is this the nuts, seeds, drupes, coconuts, pumkins recipe challenge? Or, do we want to add more? :scratchhead:

CD
Well, I'm thinking that another word for nut is nutmeat...you know, that actual part you eat, so I'm betting we could talk The Late Night Gourmet into adding in meat as well. :okay:

He's gonna hate he ever won...

We use sunflower seed oil for most of our deep frying. My wife tries to sneak in coconut oil occasionally unless I catch her.

She bought two litres of coconut oil on special offer and I won't use it.

Neither of the following are true nuts.

full.jpg

full.jpg

If a duck quacks, it's a duck.

Before we go and construct a long list of culinary nuts & culinary seeds, ask yourself if you can actually source them and use them in the timeframe of this challenge.
So assuming The Late Night Gourmet agrees, your nut or seed will need to be on this list to count towards this challenge.

I've put together a list based on the culinary definition of "nuts & seeds" which is based on the nutritional content of a seed being similar to that of a nut - so high protein is the key requirement. (≡ 56 Awesome Edible Nuts and Seeds List with Benefits & FAQs). The only entries on that list that I've excluded are nutmeg and soybean.

Types of nuts in culinary terms,

Acorn (Special prep needed)
Almond
Beech nuts
Brazil nut
Bread Nuts
Candlenut
Cashew
Cedar nuts
Chestnuts, including: Chinese chestnut, Japanese chestnut, Sweet chestnut, Chilean hazel,
Gabon nuts
Ginko nuts
Guinea peanut
Hazelnuts, including: Filbert
Hickory, including: Pecan, Shagbark hickory
Kola nut
Macadamia
Malabar almond
Malabar chestnut
Mamoncillo
Mongongo
Ogbono
Paradise nut
Peacan
Pili
Pine nuts
Pistachio
Shea nut
Tiger nut
Walnuts, including: Black walnut, White Walnut and so on

Types of seeds
from a culinary definition: the nutrient profiles of seeds are also very similar to those of nuts (so high protein, high oil /fat content).

chia seeds
flax seeds/linseed
hemp seeds
poppy seeds
psyllium seeds
pumpkin seeds
safflower seeds
sesame seeds
sunflower seeds

Oddities/Additions
Peanuts (classified as nuts due to their similar characteristics to other tree nuts)
Coconut

If you think something is missing off this list and you are able to obtain it and use it, use the report button and we will discuss and update this list accordingly.

This looks like a good, comprehensive definition. My intent is to include nuts, "nutlike things" (such as peaNUTS and other things that scientists decided aren't really nuts), and edible seeds.

By "edible seeds", I mean seeds that they can be eaten as a stand-alone food.

By "can be eaten", I mean that they're something that you'd intentionally purchase with the intent of eating it by itself, though it could be included in a recipe.

By "something that you'd intentionally purchase with the intent of eating it by itself" I am assuming that you're not a crazy person who wants to chomp on cardamom pods as a snack, for example.

If you have something that broadly fits this definition, I'll accept it. I'm not looking to exclude entries due to technical "rules" violations. I just want people to have fun making things, and hopefully give me some cool ideas I want to make myself.

This looks like a good, comprehensive definition. My intent is to include nuts, "nutlike things" (such as peaNUTS and other things that scientists decided aren't really nuts), and edible seeds.

By "edible", I mean that they can be eaten as a stand-alone food.

By "can be eaten", I mean that they're something that you'd intentionally purchase with the intent of eating it by itself, though it could be included in a recipe.

By "something that you'd intentionally purchase with the intent of eating it by itself" I am assuming that you're not a crazy person who wants to chomp on cardamom pods as a snack, for example.

If you have something that broadly fits this definition, I'll accept it. I'm not looking to exclude entries due to technical "rules" violations. I just want people to have fun making things, and hopefully give me some cool ideas I want to make myself.
Okay, so no sesame seeds...I typically don't eat those by the handfuls. I don't do that with pine nuts, either, but I adore cooking with both of them. And macadamia nuts are something else I don't eat by themselves...hmm.

I was just eating a handful of cashews and thinking how great they taste as a stand-alone snack. I have cooked with them (and pistachios) but generally just snack on them as is.

Okay, so no sesame seeds...I typically don't eat those by the handfuls. I don't do that with pine nuts, either, but I adore cooking with both of them. And macadamia nuts are something else I don't eat by themselves...hmm.
sesame seeds are on that list and some of us do eat them almost that way. I love them.. sesame seeds in a brittle sugar syrup is one of my favourite.

Ingredients
Sesame Seeds (49%), Glucose Syrup (from Wheat), Sugar.

I think 'you' is a generic you, not you personally. btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom