The CookingBites recipe challenge: nuts or seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another easy one: Chinese Almond Chicken

Recipe & Video - Chinese Almond Chicken - Xing Ren Ji

Last edited:
Recipe - Cream Of Peanut Soup With Cayenne

I think if you like those Asian-influenced peanut sauces and things, you'd really enjoy this. MrsT loved it; for me, I didn't dislike it, it was just so far outside my usual idea of soup, that I had a hard time just sitting down and enjoying it. I kept thinking, "I'm eating a bowl of hot peanut butter...I'm eating a bowl of hot peanut butter..."

Of course, with the chicken stock and the veg, it didn't taste entirely like a bowl of hot peanut butter, but it was certainly...peanutty.

I'll add it's a pretty quick fix, so good for a weeknight. It comes together very fast.

It´s taken quite a while to "perfect" this recipe; ie. to get it how I want it. I tried lentils, black beans, mushrooms, and they all turned out too sloppy when cooked. I think the key to this one is the chickpeas, the nuts and the breadcrumbs.
Anyway - it´s easily adapted to Vegan by eliminating the cheese and adding Vegan cheese (or maybe firm tofu or seitan) and subbing the Worcestershire sauce for soy or ketcap manis.Recipe Veggie Burgers

I love the inventiveness of the challenge recipes. They spark other members imagination and encourage discussion of variations.
The Late Night Gourmet This was a great ingredient choice. I learned a lot about nuts, drupes, seeds, legumes. I knew peanuts were not nuts but did not know that Cashews were not nuts. Fun.
For a while I have been thinking that if I won a challenge I would select Peanut Butter or Tree Nut Butter as my ingredient. Seed Butter for those allergic to nuts. Your Challenge has covered that very well. The recipes have been amazing from savory to sweet.

Here´s another one, then.
Brussels Sprouts with Pecans & Honey
I love Brussels Sprouts. My dad used to grow them in the garden and always swore they were best after the first frost in November or early December.
I didn´t eat them from the age of 13 until I was 21. This was because a giant caterpillar appeared on my plate one day and put me off:laugh::laugh:
Since then, love ´em!
Do NOT treat them as done traditionally in the UK; ie. put them on to boil in September, so they´re ready for Xmas:eek::eek:
They only need about 15 minutes.

but seriously, you give them that long?
we usually put a cross cut in the base of them and they'll have 5-7 minutes max 10.
I don´t cross cut the bottoms and, obviously, it depends on the size of the sprouts. Maybe 15 is a bit too long; I´ll always test them with a toothpick before draining them and they DO need to be slightly "crunchy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom