The CookingBites recipe challenge: poultry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken Heart Yakatori

Maybe this will tempt our intrepid judge into trying chicken hearts? They're muscles, not glands!

yakatori-chicken-heart-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Technically, I'm not sure if pheasant counts as poultry as its not reared in captivity or domesticated. Definitions vary. Its up to the judge.
The only way to get it here is if it’s farmed. As far as I know the only place would be Maggie Beers Pheasant Farm in South Aust. She surely can’t be the only one though.

9674FFC9-8F73-4936-8F03-9761B5257AB4.jpeg

Chicken Liver Pate. If you decide to make this, ask your houseguests if they have ever had duck liver pate. If they say no, tell them, “Then you are in for a treat!” You aren’t technically lying, because you didn’t say “this is duck liver pate”. And, you've just brightened their day because they get to tell their foodie friends that they just had duck liver pate.

I wanted to make this about a week ago, but I was amazed at how hard it is to find chicken livers. The supermarkets don't have them, of course. There's an Amish shop near my house with the most amazing chicken, and they said they only get chicken livers once in a great while. This wasn't one of those times. I even tried InstaCart, which is a service where someone else shops for what you want and delivers it to your house. The order I placed was canceled because they couldn't find them, either. I finally found them at a middle eastern market.

View attachment 72593

Chicken Liver Pate. If you decide to make this, ask your houseguests if they have ever had duck liver pate. If they say no, tell them, “Then you are in for a treat!” You aren’t technically lying, because you didn’t say “this is duck liver pate”. And, you've just brightened their day because they get to tell their foodie friends that they just had duck liver pate.

I wanted to make this about a week ago, but I was amazed at how hard it is to find chicken livers. The supermarkets don't have them, of course. There's an Amish shop near my house with the most amazing chicken, and they said they only get chicken livers once in a great while. This wasn't one of those times. I even tried InstaCart, which is a service where someone else shops for what you want and delivers it to your house. The order I placed was canceled because they couldn't find them, either. I finally found them at a middle eastern market
I'm lucky enough to live in a place where livers are right in the poultry section. I guess they still have a stigma as a "weird" ingredient, which is a shame because livers are delicious.

View attachment 72593

I wanted to make this about a week ago, but I was amazed at how hard it is to find chicken livers. The supermarkets don't have them, of course. There's an Amish shop near my house with the most amazing chicken, and they said they only get chicken livers once in a great while. This wasn't one of those times. I even tried InstaCart, which is a service where someone else shops for what you want and delivers it to your house. The order I placed was canceled because they couldn't find them, either. I finally found them at a middle eastern market.
I love this, and still intend to make it some day. I have some chicken livers in the freezer, so I might have to do it soon now!
It's for some reason unknown in my country, I got to know it because M&S used to sell it but they closed their stores on the continent years ago unfortunately. We do have patés here, but duck, deer, calf and pork are the most common flavors.

I love this, and still intend to make it some day. I have some chicken livers in the freezer, so I might have to do it soon now!
It's for some reason unknown in my country, I got to know it because M&S used to sell it but they closed their stores on the continent years ago unfortunately. We do have patés here, but duck, deer, calf and pork are the most common flavors.

In that case, your houseguests might be more impressed if you told them what it actually is rather than duck liver pate. :laugh:

I'm lucky enough to live in a place where livers are right in the poultry section. I guess they still have a stigma as a "weird" ingredient, which is a shame because livers are delicious.

I know that markets stock items based on how they're selling. I could find them a few years ago, but the fact that it's been a few years since I've thought of buying chicken liver it is an indication of how others probably also think.

Another thing that I'm certain plays into it: when I search for "where to buy chicken livers near me" on Google, this is what I see:

1633714734508.png

Three of the four are what I want; the can with the orange label is cat food. And, if you look at the pate, it looks like...well, you know. I can see where this might put people off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom