The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the rice is puffed from scratch then I'm impressed. I tried it yesterday and it didn't work. Its a bit of a palaver to do it properly. I tried frying in hot oil - but to do it properly involves salt or sand and sieves....

I only know half of it because the Fat Lady doesn't actually make them. An old lady down the road (who we do not know) makes them. Information to date is steamed Jasmine rice, dried in the sun then grilled/roasted. But that could be totally wrong.

Khow Padt Gai (Thai Chicken Fried Rice).

Recipe - Khow Padt Gai

I have added a couple of images.

Although the end product was acceptable, I think, on reflection, I'll revert to the offerings of the Fat Lady down the road for any future khow padt gai. She's had about 40 years more experience of cooking it.

However, I'll say that my chilli in soy sauce was significantly hotter than hers.

Last edited:
7ED1A13E-ADF3-46E5-973F-8BD6B0A75791.jpeg

Picture change to show the result of pan frying. Explanation below.

Arancini - Sicilian rice balls. Step 1 to making these: make a risotto! I love how these become basically meatballs without the meat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have changed my picture in my recipe above. It drove me crazy that they looked so unappealing in the exterior, so I made the recipe again. Pan frying did add some calories. But, not only does it look better, but it also taste better. Since pan frying cooked it faster, the interior didn’t get overcooked, which happened when I baked it.

I realize some of you have already reacted to my post. But, I guarantee none of you will disagree with my decision to retake the picture.

Mama Paul was my paternal grandmother. The original family home was on the Bayou. After the flood of '27 they built a home on property that Mama Paul had inherited. That is what I remember as Dad's family home. It is still there currently owned by an attorney. He uses it as his office. Mother still lives in our family home that was build on an acre of the original property. What once was "country" on a gravel road is now in the city limits on a four lane with so much traffic that a stop lite would be a big help to Mother getting out of the driveway.
Dad was the youngest of 5 children. By the time he was 4 or 5 Mama Paul was completely blind from Glaucoma.
Life in the country was non-stop hard work. The rice was the only ingredient purchased or traded for. Every thing else was raised by Mama Paul and Papa Paul.

Recipe - Mama Paul's Old School Cajun Rice Dressing (Dirty Rice)

I thought I still had some in the freezer for pictures. Nope.
A few notes.
There are OK dressing mixes produced commercially and available in grocery stores and on line. Savoie's is the closest to Mama Paul's. They use pork, chicken gizzards and a little liver. To bring it closer to Mama Paul's recipe use the mix, add 1 part liver (chicken or pork) and 1 part gizzards to 3 parts mix. Puree or grind and add additional onions, bell pepper and celery. Add minced garlic and adjust seasoning. Use Roux and or chicken broth to adjust the consistency. The problem with the commercial mixes is all or the other stuff added in. In a pinch it is OK.
Roux - during the Gumbo cook-a-long there was a lot of discussion about roux. Honestly, I rarely make it from scratch.
Again Savoie's is the best commercial product. There are other brands of roux and dressing mix. I recommend Savoie's because there are fewer added ingredients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom