The CookingBites recipe challenge: Yoghurt

Having said thank you to those who tried once, I'll say it again, thank you. Despite only 1 page of competition entries and only a handful of members contributing, I have had a hard time choosing a winner.

Mountain Cat your tandoori chicken thighs got the competition off to a great start and I loved your explanations and suggestions for alternatives.

Mothergoosygander I would never have thought to mix grated beetroot with yoghurt to make a dip (Recipe - Beetroot and Yoghurt dip) but why not? I mix grated carrot with mayonnaise, and potatoes with yoghurt, so why not beetroot? Definitely food for thought there.

karadekoolaid your 5 entries actually had me cooking 2 of them and dreaming of the days when I was able to eat dairy. Starting off with the Koosmali, I realise that my customary grated carrot in mayo isn't that far removed from this dish and it would make a nice & healthier alternative to it. I also used to make a beautiful baked cheese cake that used a lot of curd cheese and your Sunflower's cheesecake brought back memories of that cheesecake even though the recipe has long since vanished. Your Bhatura were especially interesting and a nice alternative to our usual yeasted flatbread and worked surprisingly well in the airfryer. I also cooked the Himalayan mushrooms. I liked the recipe but for our tastes found the spices quite bland, though incorporating the poppy seeds was a new one for me.

TastyReuben you will definitely take the title for the most original recipe entry with your gin flavoured strawberry smoothie or is it a strawberry smoothie flavoured gin? I also really liked the one bowl yoghurt, honey, olive oil cake. It is only since my dairy allergy that i have found the delights of olive oil cakes. It was a shame you undercooked it. And your frozen grapes & granola yoghurt bark looked and sounded fantastic. I can easily see myself making either of the last two recipes and perhaps even trying a dehydrated version of the yoghurt bark to take out walking with me.

murphyscreek your easy lemon yoghurt cake looks wonderful and so light and fluffy. I really wished I had had chance to make it. I have the lemons waiting on the lemon tree for when that opportunity arises.

Morning Glory where to start? The Curried Thai aubergine looked stunning, but I fear won't be the same without Thai aubergines. Perhaps I can source some seeds to grow my own? After I have sourced kashmiri chillies and one or two others... I was especially taken with your Egg curry and your crispy fried egg with whipped garlic yoghurt. I love Indian and Turkish food and both of these I can easily see arriving on our plates in the near future. I just fear that my presentation may not be up to that of yours, simply because I hate food that is meant to be served hot being served cold after my attempts to photograph it... The Egg Curry looks amazing and the crispy fried egg is exactly how my eggs always end up cooked, crispy but with a runny yolk. Hubby's the one that doesn't crisp them at all... both of these dishes would work really well with a flatbread and I really liked the fact that the crispy fried egg used a decent quantity of yoghurt rather than a 'passing interest' in it.

And so after that it came down to a 3 or 4 way tie

karadekoolaid with your Bhatura (Recipe - Bhatura (Deep-fried Yoghurt bread)). i love the simplicity of flatbreads.

Morning Glory with your Recipe - Egg curry. Such a great presentation and idea which oddly I've never tried. And your crispy fried egg with whipped garlic yoghurt could easily have taken the title as well. Simplicity on a plate at first appearance.

murphyscreek with your easy lemon yoghurt cake (Recipe & Video - Easy Lemon Yoghurt Cake). It looks stunning (though I'll confess I've not watched the video, i simply don't have the data allowance available on satellite broadband). Again I like the fact that it uses plenty of yoghurt, along with the use of an oil instead of a hard fat. It won over TastyReuben's version because I prefer sugar over honey, congratulations murphyscreek.

Oh wow...thanks so much Satnav. I truly wasn't expecting a win as I am definitely not usually a cake kind of guy. That's the best thing about this challenge, it gets you thinking sometimes right outside of your comfort zone. Now I have to think of the next ingredient...hmmmm.

Congratulations murphyscreek! And thank you SatNavSaysStraightOn for your careful analysis of the entries. As you have won in the past, murphyscreek, you know the ropes but as a reminder, here is the procedure with links to ingredients previously chosen:

Its now over to you to choose the next ingredient and become judge for the next round. As usual, its best to choose an ingredient which is fairly accessible in all our various countries. It doesn't matter if you choose an ingredient which has gone before so long as it wasn't too recently. A list of all ingredients chosen is here in date order and here in alphabetical order.

If you want to you can 'float' an idea for the next ingredient in this thread or if in doubt PM me or another moderator for advice.

Congratulations murphyscreek! And thank you SatNavSaysStraightOn for your careful analysis of the entries. As you have won in the past, murphyscreek, you know the ropes but as a reminder, here is the procedure with links to ingredients previously chosen:

Its now over to you to choose the next ingredient and become judge for the next round. As usual, its best to choose an ingredient which is fairly accessible in all our various countries. It doesn't matter if you choose an ingredient which has gone before so long as it wasn't too recently. A list of all ingredients chosen is here in date order and here in alphabetical order.

If you want to you can 'float' an idea for the next ingredient in this thread or if in doubt PM me or another moderator for advice.
The one I'm immediately thinking of has been featured before in 2017. But is just on my mind, as lemons were in my winning entry, and I've been trying to make limoncello over the past month. So unless there's like a shortage of sourcing them where you guys are, would lean towards lemons?

The one I'm immediately thinking of has been featured before in 2017. But is just on my mind, as lemons were in my winning entry, and I've been trying to make limoncello over the past month. So unless there's like a shortage of sourcing them where you guys are, would lean towards lemons?
I'd be more than happy with lemons. Fresh lemons, rind, flesh, juice etc? Preserved lemons? Dried lemons... shop bought lemon juice. Just to help clarify the concept. Someone is guaranteed to ask!

We'd need to check that Yorky can get them and have a backup just in case.

I've made "lime pickle"

and "limonade" (a lime version of marmalade) which were relatively successful.

Lemons are very difficult to obtain here unless one knows a local private grower. Limes are a different kettle of fruit.
Exactly the same problem in Venezuela. Limes are cheap as chips and always available. Lemons are a rarity.
Having said that, I´ve got TWO lemon trees in the garden (they´re known as "French" lemons here) although the production is usually pretty miserable; maybe a dozen lemons per year.

Back
Top Bottom