The CookingBites recipe challenge: Yoghurt

Here´s my second entry. This recipe was given to me by Mrs Sukla when her husband invited me to breakfast one day . Punjabi Chole, bhatura, kachumbar salad and fresh mango juice.
The bread is incredible. It may deep-fried, but it doesn´t taste oily. It´s also lots of fun to make.
If you make this bread with just flour, salt and water, you´ve got a poori!
Bhatura (Deep-fried Yoghurt bread)
View attachment 83279

View attachment 83280
I have some of these proofing at the moment .

I had to switch the ghee out with olive oil (which will work really well in the meal they are gong with) and the yoghurt is a homemade live soya yoghurt.

I can't deep fry but will try both air frying and shallow frying tonight. I'll try baking them with & without a little oil over them tomorrow night (that's how I normally cook the flat bread (mana'eesh) that usually accompanies this meal. I'll let you know how it goes.

Just curious - why can't you deep fry?
Not enough oil for 1, don't eat deep fried, don't like shallow fried either really... don't have anything other than a saucepan to use for deep frying... and so on. And I've no idea on what to do with the oil afterwards. No way of disposing of it and it seems a waste really to be honest. I'd have to pay to dispose of the used oil given I wouldn't consider putting it into a wheelie bin.

Plus there was an incident as a kid with the chip pan...

I'm noticing we have fewer recipes submitted than usual at this stage. Not sure why. Is yoghurt seen as a non sexy ingredient? Not versatile enough? The way I see it, its a very versatile ingredient and apart from anything else can be used in many recipes to substitute cream for a lighter, tangier finish. I've got more ideas for recipes using yoghurt than I have time to make. In fact, I bought a whole book of recipes for yoghurt (as aforementioned). So shout if you want some ideas...

Well, I'm just trying to encourage you all. You are a creative lot so please bring on your recipes!

I did make one that I intended to submit - a roasted beet-and-yogurt salad, but I got so distracted making it that I deviated far too much from the instructions, and it turned out absolutely abysmal-looking. Tasted great, looked like (literal) crap.

I do have one more to go, it’s for a cake (I think we already have two), but this one is more of a savory cake, so I’m including it. I’ll probably make it this weekend.

I’ll be the first to say that I rarely use yogurt for anything other than eating as-is (and that’s not very often at that), so I like the choice of ingredient and even the couple of things I’ve made so far, I’ve liked (especially that cocktail!).

Any previous hesitation on my part to use it regularly probably comes down to my generation and my upbringing. When I was a small child, yogurt was unheard of where I lived, and then it seemed to burst onto the shelves out of nowhere, around the mid-70’s, and heavily marketed as a diet/healthy food, and I think I still see it that way, meaning that “diet/healthy” equals less tasty substitution that you eat to lose weight, not that you eat to enjoy. I’m sure, buried deep in my brain, I still have that notion in there.

I did make one that I intended to submit - a roasted beet-and-yogurt salad, but I got so distracted making it that I deviated far too much from the instructions, and it turned out absolutely abysmal-looking. Tasted great, looked like (literal) crap.

I do have one more to go, it’s for a cake (I think we already have two), but this one is more of a savory cake, so I’m including it. I’ll probably make it this weekend.

I’ll be the first to say that I rarely use yogurt for anything other than eating as-is (and that’s not very often at that), so I like the choice of ingredient and even the couple of things I’ve made so far, I’ve liked (especially that cocktail!).

Any previous hesitation on my part to use it regularly probably comes down to my generation and my upbringing. When I was a small child, yogurt was unheard of where I lived, and then it seemed to burst onto the shelves out of nowhere, around the mid-70’s, and heavily marketed as a diet/healthy food, and I think I still see it that way, meaning that “diet/healthy” equals less tasty substitution that you eat to lose weight, not that you eat to enjoy. I’m sure, buried deep in my brain, I still have that notion in there.

Hey - no apologies necessary from you. You have two entries in! I've only got one so far...

Curried Thai aubergine

Himalayan Mushrooms

I adapted this recipe from a Madhur Jaffrey one. Sometimes I make it as a side dish, and other times as "finger food", served with cocktail sticks. If you wanted a bit more "bite" (and I probably would), add 3-4 chopped Thai chiles at the end.
The picture is small because I downsized it too much.:D:D:D

I'm noticing we have fewer recipes submitted than usual at this stage. Not sure why. Is yoghurt seen as a non sexy ingredient? Not versatile enough? The way I see it, its a very versatile ingredient and apart from anything else can be used in many recipes to substitute cream for a lighter, tangier finish. I've got more ideas for recipes using yoghurt than I have time to make. In fact, I bought a whole book of recipes for yoghurt (as aforementioned). So shout if you want some ideas...

Well, I'm just trying to encourage you all. You are a creative lot so please bring on your recipes!
I just got through with my taxes today and just haven't had enough time or brain power to do anything with it.

5 days to go still. I hope you will recover. Luckily I don't need to do any of the tax return thing at all.
Yeah, my taxes are complicated since I have stocks and investments in addition to 1099s and W2s (which may not mean much to non-Americans, as I have no idea about tax documents in other countries). But it's done. The most painful part is parting with money to give to the government!

I have some work to do tomorrow and hubby's birthday is tomorrow, and then I have work Monday...so probably not much time to think and go buy stuff. The number of entries may be fewer than normal, but the originality and quality of the ones submitted so far are superb, so it's probably going to be tough to judge as it is!

That looks absolutely divine. I love egg curries and I think they´re very underrated.
Here´s a question.(because I despise decimated coconut; it´s a pale comparison to its fresh version).
Have you tried using fresh coconut? I´m talking about the brown coconuts you can find in the supermarkets; hard shell removed, coconut meat ground, grated or blitzed in a blender, stored in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom