The CookingBites recipe challenge: Yoghurt

Mothergoosygander

I have added the relevant tags to your recipe for you. The final part of entering the challenge is to post a link and sometimes a picture here. Just copy and paste the web address from your recipe to here..

HTML:
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/beetroot-and-yoghurt-dip.24566/

Which will give this. Recipe - Beetroot and Yoghurt dip. Our system automatically changes the link to the title of the thread for you.

Here´s an easy, refreshing number which makes a cooling accompaniment to Indian food. This recipe is also great for BBQs.
Koosmali (Carrot & Yoghurt salad)

An
Mothergoosygander

I have added the relevant tags to your recipe for you. The final part of entering the challenge is to post a link and sometimes a picture here. Just copy and paste the web address from your recipe to here..

HTML:
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/beetroot-and-yoghurt-dip.24566/

Which will give this. Recipe - Beetroot and Yoghurt dip. Our system automatically changes the link to the title of the thread for you.
And that’s the final piece of the puzzle for me & I will be able to play now.

I confess I'm sort of floundering here. The thing is, that I use plain yoghurt all the time and I use it in 'every which way' so I feel as if I've (personally) explored all its uses. I use it in numerous salad dressings (many not written down), in sauces, curries, soups and to make labneh. I've also made kulfi and other desserts. I suppose I shouldn't be thinking of this as personal challenge, as any recipe with yoghurt would qualify, but I always approach the challenge wanting to explore new ideas and at the moment they are not coming. My problem, I know...

Ever made yoghurt "cheese"? I made a couple of logs, with herbs, for my son´s wedding.
Maybe a new idea?

Yeah I have - labneh, as mentioned in my post. Basically, you drain the yoghurt through cheesecloth or similar. I know I can probably do more things with that but I already know that territory. Something new will come to me eventually. If not I'll post the obvious candidates with a few tweaks.

You better send it back. There's a spelling mistake on the front cover!

Yoghurt tends to be the most used spelling in the UK but both are correct according to the OED. The odd thing is its a UK published book, written by a man of Armenian and Turkish origin, whose parents lived in the Lebanon before emigrating to the UK (north of England) when he was a child (in 1952). The book was first published in 1983 by Penguin. The edition I have was published by Grub Street in 2010. The other odd thing is that, despite the cover, all the recipes in the book use the 'yoghurt' spelling! I'm really surprised by how contemporary the recipes seem, considering it was written nearly 40 years ago. Recommended.

Last edited:
From floundering I'm now drowning in ideas for recipes using yoghurt. Soups, sauces, curries, foams ... the list goes on. Eventually it will shake down and I will actually cook something :).

Back
Top Bottom