The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw it on the BBC. An absolute tragedy. It´s absolutely terrifying how destructive a tornado can be.

That tornado Rolling Fork was ruled an EF4 with average wind speeds of 170MPH and max speed over 200MPH. EF4 and EF5 tornadoes make up about one-percent of tornadoes. They are very destructive.

If you are curious about EF ratings... Fujita scale - Wikipedia

CD

I don't know if this made international news. A small tornado outbreak hit Mississippi and Alabama overnight Friday/Saturday. I've heard as many as 26 people died. The town of Rolling Fork was pretty much wiped out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQIi4R5s-wA

CD
First I knew about it sadly. But I've been dealing with another tragedy over the weekend instead. (My neighbour's youngest daughter (44 yrs old, married with 2 kids) was found dead in Saturday, no immediate cause of death). This neighbour has been a good friend and support for me. I'm at a loss how to help her and her husband because of me going into hospital in 48hrs time.

I'm at a loss how to help her and her husband because of me going into hospital in 48hrs time.
I’m sorry to read that. That’s horrible and much closer to home for you, literally and figuratively. I’m sure they understand your situation, though, so don’t beat yourself up too much over not being able to do much right now.

I’m sorry to read that. That’s horrible and much closer to home for you, literally and figuratively. I’m sure they understand your situation, though, so don’t beat yourself up too much over not being able to do much right now.
Yeah, I know. It's just hard not being able to offer her any support. She's in her 70's with her husband in his 90's and very limited as to what he can do nowadays. Even eating is hard for him, constantly choking. He can only eat certain things, so even cooking something and taking it round isn't an option. I know that my neighbour on the other side will keep in contact with her. We all usual go to knitting together (usually in my 4×4) on a Tuesday, but I'm not going this tomorrow. The risk of catching something a day before major surgery is too great.
Her daughter lived over 800km (500 miles) away, so she stuck between a rock and a hard place. She'll struggle to just get to the funeral because her husband can't be left overnight and is too frail to travel that far. Plus she has livestock that needs to be cared for.

It's going to be a very difficult time for her. In just praying that she died from natural causes because as I understand it, she was just getting get life back together again and things were looking better.

Another six people killed today in a school shooting, six adults and three nine-year-old children, using military grade weapons legally sold to the shooter, who was being treated for serious mental health problems. She was a woman, who "identified" as a man, so according to congresswoman Marjory Taylor Green tweeted, “How much hormones like testosterone and medications for mental illness was the transgender Nashville school shooter taking? Everyone can stop blaming guns now.”

Plenty of "thoughts and prayers," of course. :headshake:

CD

Another six people killed today in a school shooting, six adults and three nine-year-old children, using military grade weapons legally sold to the shooter, who was being treated for serious mental health problems. She was a woman, who "identified" as a man, so according to congresswoman Marjory Taylor Green tweeted, “How much hormones like testosterone and medications for mental illness was the transgender Nashville school shooter taking? Everyone can stop blaming guns now.”

Plenty of "thoughts and prayers," of course. :headshake:

CD
I believe that the last Christmas card sent out by the congressman responsible for the school's locality featured him. his wife and two of his children holding semi-automatic weapons.

Britbox (or possibly Acorn) showed his series “For the Love of Dogs” here. It was wonderful. Sad to hear he’s died.

Lily confused my elderly grandma, she couldn't understand how she could be a he when she had been discussing child birth and her children. We stopped trying in the end...bless her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom