The kitchen gadget drawer

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
11:12 PM
Well, in my thrashing about with ideas for meals, I was caused to look for Slicers to thin slice Veggies and Meats. And that has left me confused between Mandoline Slicers, Guillotine Slicers and Electric Knives. Still a no go on these thrashings.

In the Mean time, I have ordered an Apple Corer, a Pineapple Corer and one Mandoline Slicer. I am thrashing on a curly slicer also, but it is not likely to fit in the kitchen drawer.

What might you be missing and wishing for, to be in your kitchen gadget drawer?

I don't know if it exists but I could really use something to help me open bottles and jars. My hands don't want to do that. The one with the metal teeth and the silicone mat haven't been successful.

I don't know if it exists but I could really use something to help me open bottles and jars. My hands don't want to do that. The one with the metal teeth and the silicone mat haven't been successful.

What you are looking for is called a Strap Wrench. I have one for working on my Camera Lenses, but can and have used it for removing bottle and jar lids.

IMG_0003_1.jpg

In the photo above, the Strap Wrench is the yellow thingie. The thing under it is a spreader for spreading Lens Filters that have gotten stuck on a camera lens.

You can find a source for Strap Wrenches by googling for them. They are available at Home Depot, Lowes and other places.

The one I have is manufactured by Filtrete.

Filtrete strap Wrench

They are not very expensive, less than $10 USD.

MJD,

It helps when removing stuck lids, to heat them first. This can be done by holding them under running hot water or simmer some water in a pan with the jar set inverted in it.

What you are looking for is called a Strap Wrench. I have one for working on my Camera Lenses, but can and have used it for removing bottle and jar lids.

Yes - its what I use for jars. Irritatingly, it doesn't fit neatly in the kitchen gadget draw. Someone should invent one with a retractable strap.

What might you be missing and wishing for, to be in your kitchen gadget drawer?
My wish would be that a drawer fairy would come along and straighten it all up for me.

I actually don't have a gadget drawer - mine is more a junk drawer, with stuff like batteries and command strips and a tape measure and things like that. I don't particularly like gadgets - that word, to me, describes things that are intended to make life easier, but do exactly the opposite, though they're so cute, you can't help buying them. :)

The last one I had came from my sister (the Kitchen Gadget Queen) and was sort of like a little matchbox car, except the wheels were little blades. Meant to quickly mince garlic and herbs by quickly running it back and forth over them. It was crap.

When you find one, let me know, I have the same problem.

My issue is that if it involves my hands, it's probably no-go. I have severe tendinosis in both arms, so my fingers, wrists, elbows, and shoulders are full of pain, 24/7, and a by-product is, I have the hand strength of a wee baby. Anything that's designed to just improve grip...that doesn't work for me. I need something to do the turning as well.

I usually end up heating it, smacking it, cussing at it, then handing it to my wife to open.

View attachment 51853

In the photo above, the Strap Wrench is the yellow thingie. The thing under it is a spreader for spreading Lens Filters that have gotten stuck on a camera lens.

You can find a source for Strap Wrenches by googling for them. They are available at Home Depot, Lowes and other places.

Filtrete strap Wrench

I've used those for oil filters before.

I don't particularly like gadgets - that word, to me, describes things that are intended to make life easier, but do exactly the opposite, though they're so cute, you can't help buying them. :)

I disagree. Gadgets are cheap things to buy to do things that can be done with a Gadget other than buying something expensive like a Food Processor. And they are things that do a very fine job of things that would be more clumsily done with a knife.

I don't use the drawers for gadgets. Very few, if any. Instead, I put the gadgets into the tray inside the top of this orange tool box to help keep them all neat & organized better. I have another one that I use for the regular tools also. :whistling:

My wish would be that a drawer fairy would come along and straighten it all up for me.

I actually don't have a gadget drawer - mine is more a junk drawer, with stuff like batteries and command strips and a tape measure and things like that. I don't particularly like gadgets - that word, to me, describes things that are intended to make life easier, but do exactly the opposite, though they're so cute, you can't help buying them. :)

The last one I had came from my sister (the Kitchen Gadget Queen) and was sort of like a little matchbox car, except the wheels were little blades. Meant to quickly mince garlic and herbs by quickly running it back and forth over them. It was crap.

When you find one, let me know, I have the same problem.

My issue is that if it involves my hands, it's probably no-go. I have severe tendinosis in both arms, so my fingers, wrists, elbows, and shoulders are full of pain, 24/7, and a by-product is, I have the hand strength of a wee baby. Anything that's designed to just improve grip...that doesn't work for me. I need something to do the turning as well.

I usually end up heating it, smacking it, cussing at it, then handing it to my wife to open.

I've used those for oil filters before.

I know I shouldn't laugh at your post about your pain and I swear I didn't "LOL" you for that part. I'm sorry you are hurting 24/7. I live in the same world and won't take narcotics so...yeah.

I am literally laughing out loud because I can so picture you cussing out a jar you can't open. ;-0 I ALWAYS know that something you post will make me laugh without fail.

I disagree. Gadgets are cheap things to buy to do things that can be done with a Gadget other than buying something expensive like a Food Processor. And they are things that do a very fine job of things that would be more clumsily done with a knife.

Well, I think you and TastyReuben are both correct. There are gadgets that are really useful, save time and work well and ones that don't do any of those things. Is a hand held mandolin slicer a gadget? I think it probably is and for me at least its very useful. Ditto my handheld julienne cutter. Ditto a simple Y shaped peeler.

And then there are the host of 'novelty gadgets'. Some are fun and do work (though you may not use them very often). My gadget for making square eggs falls into that category. As does my spiraliser. Many don't work and are a waste of space. I'm sure we have all had some of those in the past.

View attachment 51853

Filtrete strap Wrench

I have tried the strap wrench. The problem is I don't have any hand strength so anything that requires my "participation" is an exercise in futility. Thanks for mentioning it though. It may help others in the same predicament.

MJD,

It helps when removing stuck lids, to heat them first. This can be done by holding them under running hot water or simmer some water in a pan with the jar set inverted in it.

I've tried this. The problem is my strength and dexterity. My brain says "yes" and my hands say "not today". LOL Sometimes, I even have trouble with buttons and snaps. I've had to change my wallet from a snap type to a zipper.

Well, I think you and TastyReuben are both correct. There are gadgets that are really useful, save time and work well and ones that don't do any of those things. Is a hand held mandolin slicer a gadget? I think it probably is and for me at least its very useful. Ditto my handheld julienne cutter. Ditto a simple Y shaped peeler.

And then there are the host of 'novelty gadgets'. Some are fun and do work (though you may not use them very often). My gadget for making square eggs falls into that category. As does my spiraliser. Many don't work and are a waste of space. I'm sure we have all had some of those in the past.

Yes. There are a lot of novelty garbage gadgets to be had.

Back
Top Bottom