Recipe Tray Bake Chicken with Plums, Soy, Honey & Mustard

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:07 PM
Its all about sweet, sour and salty and then the kick of hot mustard. Use fairly sour plums if you can. I used skinless ‘bone-in’ chicken thighs but you could use legs or drumsticks. Skinless chicken works best for the glaze, I find. You could leave out the shallots but the whole garlic cloves add a lovely savoury sweetness - so please toss them in leaving the skin on, then squidge them out on your plate. I served this with orzo but rice would be more conventional

fullsizeoutput_4dc5.jpeg

Ingredients (serves 2-3)
6 skinless chicken thighs
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp Chinese mustard (or use English mustard)
2 tbsp honey
3 banana shallots
5 or 6 cloves of garlic
4 or 5 plums
Star anise
Oil to drizzle
Chives to sprinkle

Method
  1. Whisk together the soy sauces, mustard and honey in a bowl large enough to hold the chicken thighs.
  2. Place the chicken thighs in the mixture and turn them to coat. Cover and marinate for an hour - longer won’t hurt.
  3. Heat the oven to 175C.
  4. Halve the banana shallots lengthwise and peel off the outer skin.
  5. Halve the plums and remove the stones. Set aside.
  6. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and place in a baking dish surrounded by the shallots and the unpeeled garlic cloves. Reserve the remaining marinade
  7. Drizzle with a little vegetable oil and bake for 35 mins, basting after 15 minutes.
  8. Add the plum halves to the baking dish and place a star anise in each half.
  9. Bake for 10 minutes.
  10. Place the remaining marinade in a small saucepan and heat gently until reduced by half to form a glaze.
  11. Paint the glaze over the chicken pieces and shallots. Return to the oven for 5 mins.
  12. Sprinkle with chopped chives.

fullsizeoutput_4dc0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4dcb.jpeg

Last edited:
Its all about sweet, sour and salty and then the kick of hot mustard. Use fairly sour plums if you can. I used skinless ‘bone-in’ chicken thighs but you could use legs or drumsticks. Skinless chicken works best for the glaze, I find. You could leave out the shallots but the whole garlic cloves add a lovely savoury sweetness - so please toss them in leaving the skin on, then squidge them out on your plate. I served this with orzo but rice would be more conventional

View attachment 29667

Ingredients (serves 2-3)
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp honey
3 banana shallots
5 or 6 cloves of garlic
4 or 5 plums
Star anise
Oil to drizzle
Chives to sprinkle

Method
  1. Whisk together the soy sauces, mustard and honey in a bowl large enough to hold the chicken thighs.
  2. Place the chicken thighs in the mixture and turn them to coat. Cover and marinate for an hour - longer won’t hurt.
  6. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and place in a baking dish surrounded by the shallots and the unpeeled garlic cloves. Reserve the remaining marinade
  7. Drizzle with a little vegetable oil and bake for 35 mins, basting after 15 minutes.
  9. Bake for 10 minutes.
  10. Place the remaining marinade in a small saucepan and heat gently until reduced by half to form a glaze.
  11. Paint the glaze over the chicken pieces and shallots. Return to the oven for 5 mins.

View attachment 29668

View attachment 29669
Star anise in plums. Banana shallots. Soy, mustard, honey glaze.
So totally awesome.

View attachment 29667

Ingredients (serves 2-3)
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp honey
3 banana shallots
5 or 6 cloves of garlic
4 or 5 plums
Star anise
Oil to drizzle
Chives to sprinkle

Method
  9. Bake for 10 minutes.

View attachment 29668

View attachment 29669

Oh yum.
I may do this myself at some point.

Love the whole cloves of garlic like that, they don't taste quite how you'd expect.

I do a Spanish chicken that uses whole cloves of garlic and of course, I've tried the classic Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic recipe.

Back
Top Bottom