Recipe Tropical Ice Cream (Kiwi, Strawberries, and Coconut)

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:31 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
Here's something to sprinkle that toasted sugar on, though it's very flavorful by itself. You'll be forgiven for thinking this looks like strawberry ice cream: the red of the strawberries bled through everything, and the green of the kiwi and (no surprise) white of the coconut got absorbed. To be honest, I was worried that it would turn brown (red + green usually = brown, at least when I'm mixing paints).

This is an adaptation of a strawberry recipe I made last year, but with light coconut milk replacing part of the half-and-half. I could have gone full vegan if I had regular coconut milk, but I was concerned that the low fat content of the light coconut milk would have yielded something less creamy than I wanted. The bad news? I packed some for lunch, but I forgot to bring it.
sad.png

http://www.food.com/recipe/tropical-ice-cream-kiwi-strawberries-and-coconut-531350

Prep Time: 4 hours (mostly spent freezing the mixture)
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Servings: 12
Nutrition: 42 calories/ounce (detailed nutritional information in the above link)

Ingredients

12 ounces strawberries, stems removed, sliced
12 ounces kiwi, peeled, cored, and sliced
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 cup granulated sugar
4 large egg yolks
1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
13.5 ounces light coconut milk
14 ounces half-and-half
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped

Directions
  1. Add the kiwis and strawberries to a bowl along with 1/4 cup of the sugar. Toss until the sugar begins to dissolve. Let sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes while you prepare the custard.
  2. Shake the coconut milk can thoroughly. In a saucepan, over medium heat, combine the coconut milk, half-and-half, remaining sugar, and vanilla bean with pulp. Bring to a simmer.
  3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks until smooth. Add 1 cup of the hot liquid to the egg yolks in a slow stream, gradually whisking to combine, until smooth.
  4. Add the yolk mixture to the saucepan of liquid and whisk until incorporated. Bring the liquid back to simmer and continue to cook for about 5 minutes or until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
  5. Pour the mixture into a bowl using a strainer to remove the vanilla bean pieces, and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture. This will prevent a skin from forming while cooling.
  6. Use food processor to pulse the strawberries to a rough chop, then stir in the strawberries.
  7. Cool the mixture completely. Process the mixture according the ice cream machines instructions.

IMG_0478.JPG

Back
Top Bottom