Trumps history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Becasue they hate what he hates and he says all the quiet parts out loud.
I think it's more fear than hate. A stunning 82% of Republicans still have a positive view of Donald Trump; 68% think the election was rigged (because that's what Trump keeps telling them). That's a massive portion of the electorate. People in Congress want to keep their jobs.

I think it's more fear than hate. A stunning 82% of Republicans still have a positive view of Donald Trump; 68% think the election was rigged (because that's what Trump keeps telling them). That's a massive portion of the electorate. People in Congress want to keep their jobs.
I think it's fear as well.

Years ago, I was consulting for a "big name" company and was included on an internal board meeting. They were meeting to determine if they should remove the CEO (for various breaches). The CEO got wind of the secret meeting and waited in the parking lot for each board member to exit. He basically threatened them all. Needless to say (but I will anyway ;-), they were scared to cross him knowing that he was willing to cause all kinds of problems for them and their families.

It basically boils down to "negotiating with terrorists". Just this time, they aren't from other countries.

That can certainly be one aspect of it. Remember, pre-2016 it wasn't just the DNC computers that got hacked. There may be a lot of leverage held over the GOP's heads by Trump and co.

That can certainly be one aspect of it. Remember, pre-2016 it wasn't just the DNC computers that got hacked. There may be a lot of leverage held over the GOP's heads by Trump and co.
Add in his public pronouncement that he would primary any GOP politician that went against him and you can see the fear in many that they could be thrown off the gravy train by the Trump cultists.

Yep, fear of losing popularity (which might mean eventually losing one's position in office).

There are a lot of stupid sheeple out there. I also think that part of the problem is that people don't like to admit when they are wrong, and if they endorsed him at the beginning they still want to believe that they did not make a horrible choice. Some people are adults who can admit when they are wrong and take responsibility for their actions. Trump and his supporters are not those people.

Just saw this. How apropos...

unnamed.png

There are a lot of stupid sheeple out there. I also think that part of the problem is that people don't like to admit when they are wrong, and if they endorsed him at the beginning they still want to believe that they did not make a horrible choice. Some people are adults who can admit when they are wrong and take responsibility for their actions. Trump and his supporters are not those people.
I wanted to add that I know a husband and wife who both voted for him in 2016. Her husband voted for him again in 2020. The wife confided in me that she did NOT vote for him in 2020 and voted for Biden, but made me swear not to let her husband know. I think it's terribly sad that she couldn't tell her husband the truth, but I honored her wishes (I don't talk really to him anyway). I still don't understand why she is still with him (not just because of his political views, multitudes of other reasons).

I wanted to add that I know a husband and wife who both voted for him in 2016. Her husband voted for him again in 2020. The wife confided in me that she did NOT vote for him in 2020 and voted for Biden, but made me swear not to let her husband know. I think it's terribly sad that she couldn't tell her husband the truth, but I honored her wishes (I don't talk really to him anyway). I still don't understand why she is still with him (not just because of his political views, multitudes of other reasons).
My parents and former in-laws cancelled each other's votes. In my family, they just DO NOT GO THERE about politics. And, like your couple friends, I have NO idea how/why/on God's green Earth my parents are still together (for a multitude of reasons as well ;-0

I have 2 couple sets of friends, much in the same boat...one has filed for divorce. She says that he is not the man she married, let alone 4 years ago. The other...man it's been rough. In a strange twist, it's actually SHE that has gone full right wing nutter. She is, was? a great person, really. Highly educated, life smart, witty. makes it all that much more strange that she went down that path. Sad really, but it has brought out the ugliest in some people.

I try to not let politics trump family/friendship (no pun intended), but it's gotten to the point now that if they stand with him and what he stands for, they can't stand with me. I've cut some dead wood.

Last edited:
I have 2 couple sets of friends, much in the same boat...one has filed for divorce. She says that he is not the man she married, let alone 4 years ago. The other...man it's been rough. In a strange twist, it's actually SHE that has gone full right wing nutter. She is, was? a great person, really. Highly educated, life smart, witty. makes it all that much more strange that she went down that path. Sad really, but it has brought out the ugliest in some people.

I try to not let politic trump family/friendship (no pun intended), but it's gotten to the point now that if they stand with him and what he stands for, they can't stand with me. I've cut some dead wood.
Well put. I moved to Ohio from Florida 21 years ago. I already had only a handful of friends up here and I don't talk to half of them now because of this. Ironically, people think of Florida as a red state, but everyone I know where I lived in NW Florida on the Gulf Coast (Destin) is a democrat or a libertarian.

• Wow
Reactions: mjd
Yes....I do think of this one from time to time when I see what's happening in our world. I've seen it several times, and I think it's a funny movie, though maybe not so funny now that it's actually happening.

The Al Franken case was one where the Democrats continued to operate as they always have, with a sense that we need to hold ourselves to a high standard before we criticize others for their conduct. The thing is, gestures like this fall on deaf ears. There are certainly honorable Republicans in Congress, but more and more don't really care about gestures like this. There's no obligation to reciprocate with a like gesture.

A prime example was the hypocrisy of Mitch McConnell blocking Obama's Merrick Garland appointment to the Supreme Court because 11 months was too close to the 2016 election, but rationalizing that it was okay to ram the Amy Coney Barrett appointment through a month and a half before the 2020 election.

An even better example might be how Fox News spent 4 days blasting Obama for the unforgivable crime of....wearing a tan suit. Yet, somehow Trump's conduct the past 4 years was totally okay.

This sort of armed camp approach makes cooperation so difficult. The Dems have control of both houses and the White House, so they don't have cooperate with the Republicans. But, I still hope some middle ground can be found as time goes on. We can't keep on like this indefinitely.
I still can't believe the racing driver and the noose in the nascar race. They went nuts.

Russ

I try to not let politics trump family/friendship (no pun intended), but it's gotten to the point now that if they stand with him and what he stands for, they can't stand with me. I've cut some dead wood.

I went to school and was friends with a girl that I got on with, nothing remotely sexual but we got on. We caught up years later after she married a builder, us 4 all got on well for years until the marriage turned to custard. The guy built my upstairs for me but I drew the line when he turned nasty on his wife over the kids. Real nasty, we decided we didn't want to know him . Havnt spoken since but still in contact with his ex.

Russ

Nothing compares to the latest Republican poster child, Marjorie Taylor Greene. Jewish Space lasers started the California wildfires? That's just bat$#it crazy. And, Republicans are defending her. Why? Donald Trump gave them their marching orders.

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 12.28.03 AM.png

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom