Using your slow cooker?

Thanks so much for the recipe, it sounds delicious. DH said to thank you for him also. lol
I was glad to see it was a Cooking Light recipe. Their website was my ol' stompin' ground for over 10 years. That is where I conducted my cooking game. I also sub. to their mag. for almost 20 years. We have had quite a lot of delicious meals from C.L. I am so sorry you were not happy with some of the ones you tried.

When I was working, the crock pot was essential. I would work some days 10 or so hours. AND have the commute plus that.

Most crock pot foods would not stand up to that.

BUT... Beef brisket.... yes, that DOES work for that. I'd set it up on my way out in the morning, come home, toss any quick veggies, go feed the cats and check e-mail... then eat dinner.

morning glory - I second The Late Night Gourmet, and that one looks like a nice little starter pot.
I do have a second Crock-Pot branded "slow cooker," but I rarely use it that way; it's very small at has a single temperature setting, which seems to be somewhere between "keep warm" and "low" - I call it my "slow melter" - it's especially good at holding melted chocolate for dipping fruits and biscuits, but I'd never try and properly cook anything in it.

A slow cooker, for me anyway, is like a lot of things I have in my kitchen (stand mixer, food processor, stick blender) - I don't use them every day, but when I do use them, boyo, are they a big help!

Even that really simple cheese dip I posted - yes, I could decide that I wanted to eat that at 6PM, and set about mixing and stirring on the stove at 5:30PM or so, having to keep an eye on it so it doesn't scorch, adjust the temp, stir some more, and in 30 minutes, I'm done, or...I could dump everything in the slow cooker, set it on low, set the timer for 45 minutes, then empty the dishwasher, or pet on the dog a little, or sit down and watch a TV show with a little glass of wine in my hand, or even run into town and back, to get some nice bread for dipping, then stir it halfway through, set the timer again, and go off and do other things. That's one of the nice things about it, it's slow enough that it frees up time to do other things, or nothing at all.

It's a really nice alternative way of cooking something that works out well for us, even if I use it probably once a month. My favorite pot roast comes out of the slow cooker. It really excels at roasts.

I suggest getting the absolute cheapest one to start with, if you're not sure. I found a 2.4L Crockpot for £19.99 (incl free delivery) on UK Amazon. There are even cheaper ones. If you only use it once or twice, you won't regret the purchase price. And, very likely it will last you a very long time.

I do have a slow cooker. I've had one for decades. You misunderstood? I was talking about the multi-cooker which has a slow cook function amongst other things - as mentioned by MrsDangermouse here

Does anyone have a good slow cooker recipe to share? This is a cooking forum. lol

Back
Top Bottom