Using your slow cooker?

Does anyone have a good slow cooker recipe to share? This is a cooking forum. lol
img_0039-jpg.jpg

Something I make from time to time...so good, and so easy: Chicken Ropa Vieja and (Beef) Ropa Vieja. They're basically the same recipe: meat, peppers, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and some seasoning. In 4 hours, you'll have shredded beef, chicken, or pork that you can enjoy on rice, in a tortilla, or in a sandwich.

Craig-DH really likes your recipe, but, it is a slow cooked recipe for the grill, not a slow cooker. Thanks anyway. lol
I'd think this would work as-is in the slow cooker, except you might want to trim the fat from the pork shoulder (since it will have nowhere to go, unlike melting down on the grill). Hmmm...I might just give this a try and see what happens!

I don't have a crock pot/slow cooker. I have three sizes of LeCrueset cast iron Dutch ovens. If I were to get a crock pot, I feel like I'd be wasting all the money I spent on that expensive iron. So, my slow cooker is a cast iron pot in the oven.

CD

Craig-DH really likes your recipe, but, it is a slow cooked recipe for the grill, not a slow cooker. Thanks anyway. lol

Not for the grill. I used the BGE and it cooked for many hours @225F. The Egg and pit are my slow cookers. I had a meal cooked in a crock pot back in the 70's, Beef in beer. It was then I realized that meat swam in it's own fat in a crock pot. I have never owned one nor will I ever. Any recipe for a crock pot can be done in a Dutch oven, stove top or finished in the oven. Fat can be skimmed without increasing cooking time by very much and my versions of slow cookers don't allow the meat to remain in fat as it drips out during cooking after it has done it's basting job.

Not for the grill. I used the BGE and it cooked for many hours @225F. The Egg and pit are my slow cookers. I had a meal cooked in a crock pot back in the 70's, Beef in beer. It was then I realized that meat swam in it's own fat in a crock pot. I have never owned one nor will I ever. Any recipe for a crock pot can be done in a Dutch oven, stove top or finished in the oven. Fat can be skimmed without increasing cooking time by very much and my versions of slow cookers don't allow the meat to remain in fat as it drips out during cooking after it has done it's basting job.
When I cooked CraigC's recipe I cooked in a slow oven for four hours - see here. I think you could use a slow cooker although as CraigC says the biggest issue with slow cooking fatty meat is that it swims in its fat.

I just like the ability to just plug something in, set it on low/high and walk away for hours. And so does DH, now that he has to do all the cooking. This way he can concentrate on a heck of a lot of other things that need done around here. lol

I have a large slow cooker and a triple slow cooker, both of which get used a lot. The large one gets used for batch cooking and making cakes (a 7" round cake tin fits in it nicely). The triple one gets used for roasting joints of meat (especially at Christmas time - roast gammon is delicious, much better than when roasted in a conventional oven, and beef and lamb roast nicely too), pot roasts, soups, stews, rice, and puddings. I rarely use my oven any more, except for baking bread, but that may change soon too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom