Using your slow cooker?

When I cooked CraigC's recipe I cooked in a slow oven for four hours - see here. I think you could use a slow cooker although as CraigC says the biggest issue with slow cooking fatty meat is that it swims in its fat.
Isn't that where all the flavor comes from? I hate all these new cuts of meat that are so dry and tasteless.

Isn't that where all the flavor comes from? I hate all these new cuts of meat that are so dry and tasteless.
morning glory CraigC
Definitely! I've never found joints roasted in a slow cooker to be swimming in fat - certainly no more fat than when roasted in an oven - and you can always skim off any fat from a stew, which I've had to do on more than one occasion when cooking on a hob.

I think I did also, still think it's a good idea. What do you say MG?

I think I've said before that SatNavSaysStraightOn did a lot of work reducing and rationalising the number of sections (forums) as there were so many which overlapped. A lot of new members already find the number of forums confusing/daunting. If we have one for slow cookers, then we should have one for multi-cookers and for microwaves etc. It grows and grows.... the important thing is to use tags. That way things are searchable.

I think I've said before that SatNavSaysStraightOn did a lot of work reducing and rationalising the number of sections (forums) as there were so many which overlapped. A lot of new members already find the number of forums confusing/daunting. If we have one for slow cookers, then we should have one for multi-cookers and for microwaves etc. It grows and grows.... the important thing is to use tags. That way things are searchable.
OK, thanks, that makes sense.

I don't think that I was born with the correct genes to operate a slow cooker. The beef and kidney were fine but the potatoes and carrots were overcooked. Back to the stovetop!

I could possibly have been a little overcritical of my pathetic attempts to operate a slow cooker on Friday. I reheated some of the "stew" this afternoon (after adding a little more liquid) and the potatoes and carrots did not appear to be too much overcooked now (i.e. they were not mushy).

To me, a slow cooker is not really a method of cooking, it is just tool. Pretty much anything you could cook in a slow cooker, you could cook in a cast iron Dutch oven. A recipe could easily say, "simmer for three hours in a slow cooker or Dutch oven." Two ways of doing the same thing.

CD

To me, a slow cooker is not really a method of cooking, it is just tool. Pretty much anything you could cook in a slow cooker, you could cook in a cast iron Dutch oven. A recipe could easily say, "simmer for three hours in a slow cooker or Dutch oven." Two ways of doing the same thing.

CD
Probably true, but what would we do with the slow cooker sitting on the kitchen counter and the 2 or 3 in the pantry? lol Our slow cooker is much easier to clean than our Dutch Oven.

Probably true, but what would we do with the slow cooker sitting on the kitchen counter and the 2 or 3 in the pantry? lol Our slow cooker is much easier to clean than our Dutch Oven.

Probably because food cooked in the slow cooker has far less of a chance of sticking, scorching or burning. When I'm using a Dutch Oven, I start off with the burner up high to give it a rolling boil, then I reduce the setting to the lowest possible one, so that it just simmers, especially spaghetti sauce or marinara. It comes out superb!! :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom