Recipe Vegan banh mi sandwich

Herbaceous

Local time
3:09 PM
I really love this recipe for vegan banh mi. It does take a bit of prep time, but once everything is ready, it comes together quickly. I like to make the pickled veggies and marinate the tofu on the weekend, and then during the week I pull out a couple slabs of tofu at a time and pan-fry them to make sandwiches. Adapted from Vanilla and Bean.

Ingredients:

Tofu marinade:
2 tsp Sriracha
4 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp vegan fish sauce (you can substitute tamari, or regular fish sauce if not vegan)
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp lime juice
1 large garlic clove, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1 package extra-firm tofu

Pickled veggies:
1/2 cup hot water
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 red onion, sliced
1 carrot, peeled and cut in matchsticks
1 daikon radish, sliced into matchsticks (omit if you can’t find it)
2 jalapeño, sliced (optional if you like heat)

Sauce:
1 tbsp vegan mayo per sandwich
1 squirt sriracha- adjust amount to your heat preference/tolerance

Sandwich buns or baguette
Sliced cucumber
Cilantro leaves

Directions:

Press the tofu - wrap tofu in a clean tea towel and the put something heavy on top, like a cast iron skillet or heavy book. Press tofu for 20 min. Pat dry.

Mix together all marinade ingredients- I usually do this in a glass Tupperware container. Slice the tofu into slabs, and then add to your marinade. Make sure the tofu is coated by the marinade, then marinate for at least 30 min (I leave it overnight and periodically turn the container to make sure the tofu absorbs the marinade evenly).

For the pickled veggies, in a mason jar, add the water & sugar and swirl to dissolve. Add the vinegar and swirl to mix. Add the veggies and pack them down to submerge. Allow to marinate for at least 15 min (again, I leave them overnight).

In a small bowl, mix the vegan mayo with the sriracha. Adjust the amount of sriracha to taste.

To cook the tofu, add some oil (enough to keep the tofu from sticking) to a skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu and cook for about 3-4 min per side, until starting to get a nice char. You can baste with excess marinade.

To assemble, spread sriracha mayo on your split sandwich rolls (toast the bread if you want). Add cooked tofu, sliced cucumber, pickled veggies, and cilantro and enjoy!

IMG_8990.jpeg

IMG_0809.jpeg

Last edited:
Great to see a recipe for tofu - we don't have enough on the forum. Do you discard the ginger and garlic from the marinade?

Great to see a recipe for tofu - we don't have enough on the forum. Do you discard the ginger and garlic from the marinade?
They tend to get left behind when you remove the tofu to cook it. If any does stick to the tofu, I remove it, or else it will burn while the tofu cooks.

Back
Top Bottom