Recipe Vegan Coconut Sugar & Maple Syrup Coated Almonds

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
6:31 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I have finally managed to make something involving a honey substitute for the The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Honey. It has taken me a while to say the least!

I have to confess that you need your act together on this recipe. It is best if you don't let the almonds go cool after they have roasted, but at the same time you need the syrup mixture ready only minutes after the almonds have roasted, so make sure you are prepared. If you do that, it won't be a problem.

Ingredients
250g Almonds (unsalted is essential)
50g Coconut Sugar (or another fine brown sugar)
1/4 tsp finely ground sea salt
30-40g Maple Syrup
10ml water
1 tsp refined coconut oil (or another tasteless/odourless oil)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 freshly ground cinnamon

Method
  1. Get a cooling rack out and lay a piece of greaseproof paper (or baking parchment or similar) over the rack. It needs to be big enough to take all of the almonds in a single layer.
  2. In a bowl, mix the coconut sugar with the sea salt and set aside. Ensure the bowl is large enough to contain all of the almonds when they are ready. The larger and flatter the bowl the easier the final steps will be.
  3. Over a medium heat, heat a dry frying pan until it is hot and then add the almonds. Roast the almonds, turning frequently, until the almonds are hot and starting to smell roasted. Remove from the heat and pour into a spare bowl. Remember that the almonds will continue to cook/roast with their spare heat, so take this into account when roasting them.
  4. Whilst the almonds are roasting, in saucepan large enough to take all of the almonds, add the maple syrup, water, refined coconut oil, vanilla and cinnamon and heat through. You need the mixture at a rolling boil just as or just after the almonds have finished roasting because you are going to add the hot almonds to this mixture when it has come to the boil.
  5. Add the almonds, reduce the heat and stir thoroughly to coat all of the almonds in a layer of sugar syrup. Cook and stir until the bottom of the pan is dry and all almonds are coated. It will only take a couple of minutes.
  6. Now pour the syrup coated almonds into the bowl containing the coconut sugar and salt and mix well. Keep mixing until all of the almonds are totally covered and there is no more coconut sugar left. It will happen, honest :whistling:
  7. Now pour the whole lot onto the greaseproof paper and spread them out the best you can.
  8. As they cool, you can break them apart so that the almonds are not in clusters or stuck together.
  9. Allow them to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

Credits: inspired by (I just changed the roasting method) Candied Almonds (naturally paleo, vegan) - Texanerin Baking

Last edited:
I have finally managed to make something involving a honey substitute for the The CookingBites Recipe Challenge: Honey. It has taken me a while to say the least!

I have to confess that you need your act together on this recipe. It is best if you don't let the almonds go cool after they have roasted, but at the same time you need the syrup mixture ready only minutes after the almonds have roasted, so make sure you are prepared. If you do that, it won't be a problem.

Ingredients
250g Almonds (unsalted is essential)
50g Coconut Sugar (or another fine brown sugar)
1/4 tsp finely ground sea salt
30-40g Maple Syrup
10ml water
1 tsp refined coconut oil (or another tasteless/odourless oil)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 freshly ground cinnamon

Method
  1. Get a cooling rack out and lay a piece of greaseproof paper (or baking parchment or similar) over the rack. It needs to be big enough to take all of the almonds in a single layer.
  2. In a bowl, mix the coconut sugar with the sea salt and set aside. Ensure the bowl is large enough to contain all of the almonds when they are ready. The larger and flatter the bowl the easier the final steps will be.
  3. Over a medium heat, heat a dry frying pan until it is hot and then add the almonds. Roast the almonds, turning frequently, until the almonds are hot and starting to smell roasted. Remove from the heat and pour into a spare bowl. Remember that the almonds will continue to cook/roast with their spare heat, so take this into account when roasting them.
  4. Whilst the almonds are roasting, in saucepan large enough to take all of the almonds, add the maple syrup, water, refined coconut oil, vanilla and cinnamon and heat through. You need the mixture at a rolling boil just as or just after the almonds have finished roasting because you are going to add the hot almonds to this mixture when it has come to the boil.
  5. Add the almonds, reduce the heat and stir thoroughly to coat all of the almonds in a layer of sugar syrup. Cook and stir until the bottom of the pan is dry and all almonds are coated. It will only take a couple of minutes.
  6. Now pour the syrup coated almonds into the bowl containing the coconut sugar and salt and mix well. Keep mixing until all of the almonds are totally covered and there is no more coconut sugar left. It will happen, honest :whistling:
  7. Now pour the whole lot onto the greaseproof paper and spread them out the best you can.
  8. As they cool, you can break them apart so that the almonds are not in clusters or stuck together.
  9. Allow them to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

My wife really loves almonds, me not so much! This sounds yummy for her sweet tooth. I'll have to see what we need to buy for this.

Russ

My wife really loves almonds, me not so much! This sounds yummy for her sweet tooth. I'll have to see what we need to buy for this.

Russ
You can use any soft brown sugar, and tbh you could use any sugar if you use a spice grinder to turn it to fine crystals or a powder.
And for the maple syrup, you can use honey if you wanted to. Any liquid sugar would work tbh. I like it with the coconut sugar, but mine was rock solid so ended up in the spice grinder turned to something akin to a coconut icing sugar! Its a pretty flexible recipe, which reminds me. I need to add the credits. I changed the roasting method to a frying pan because I toast/roast all of my nuts and seeds that way. The original recipe asks for the oven and I don't do the oven unless I really need to cook more than one thing and certainly not for such a short period of time. Electric ovens for 10 minutes or so are a huge waste of money in my view!

You can use any soft brown sugar, and tbh you could use any sugar if you use a spice grinder to turn it to fine crystals or a powder.
And for the maple syrup, you can use honey if you wanted to. Any liquid sugar would work tbh. I like it with the coconut sugar, but mine was rock solid so ended up in the spice grinder turned to something akin to a coconut icing sugar! Its a pretty flexible recipe, which reminds me. I need to add the credits. I changed the roasting method to a frying pan because I toast/roast all of my nuts and seeds that way. The original recipe asks for the oven and I don't do the oven unless I really need to cook more than one thing and certainly not for such a short period of time. Electric ovens for 10 minutes or so are a huge waste of money in my view!

I toast peanuts and spices all the time so no drama. Thanks.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom