Vegan Heartache Cake (revisited).

What kind of aubergine did you use? Is it the Japanese variety that is big and round or the slender and longer ones? That cake looks delicious I do not see any trace of aubergine. I wonder why it is called heartache?

What kind of aubergine did you use? Is it the Japanese variety that is big and round or the slender and longer ones? That cake looks delicious I do not see any trace of aubergine. I wonder why it is called heartache?
Just a standard purple eggplant that looks like this:
aubergine-2.jpg

I wonder why it is called heartache?
The cake recipe is from Harry Eastwood's book 'Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache'. According to a number of reviews, its a book written in an irritating 'girly' style which assigns personalities to vegetables (Harry is a woman),
Here is what she says about this cake:
“THIS CAKE IS SAD. It’s dark & drizzling down the window panes. She puffs her chest in hope when she goes into the oven; she then breaks, like a chest heaving a sob. This is why Aubergine (the Eeyore of the vegetable world) is the right kind of friend to hold your hand.”
Looking at the original recipe, I note that it is made with two aubergines rather than one aubergine and one banana. Good news for @SatNavSaysStraightOn who hates bananas!

Oh I see thank you for that trivia @morning glory . I think I read something similar online, the blogger created her own take on some famous cake recipes but she injected her own bitter past into each of them. I can understand the irritating gurly kind of style.

Last edited by a moderator:
Judges licence here in starting a new thread (I'm talking of The CookingBites Recipe Challenge, for which I have the honour of being the current judge). @classic33 entered a recipe for Vegan Heartache Cake (Chocolate Eggplant Torte).

I was sceptical! I was scathing! Aubergine/eggplant in a cake! I don't even like cakes... but.... its a wonderful recipe. I made it yesterday, decorated and photographed it today and this is how it turned out (my food photography is improving). I used a page of a food magazine for a backdrop in case you're wondering.

Its been tried and tested by everyone here. The taste is deep, dark and dangerously more-ish. Make this recipe. You won't regret it!

View attachment 1920

Great combo!

Back
Top Bottom