What’s the next kitchen item you plan to buy?

Really on the fence about this: Anova Percision Chamber Vacuum Sealer
Great not just for sealing, but infusing, pickling, compressing. I have larger commercial ones in units and they are amazing tools, just large and take up space. Having one at home would be fantastic, but then I get to wondering how often I would really use/need it?

View attachment 93471

An expensive buy if you don't use it too often. How is it better than a standard vacuum sealer? Is it combining a sous-vide?

Tried that link again. Stil won't work!! I gave up!! Found this one on Amazon that looks almost like it. The one below cost more money.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell, no. It's just a vacuum sealer

A chamber vacuum sealer is great for sealing liquids, like soups and marinades, in a bag. A regular vacuum sealer will just suck out the liquids and make a big mess.

I did find a work-around for my Foodsaver. I put the liquids in a bag, freeze it, and then vacuum seal it. That is fine for sealing soups and stews to be stored in the freezer, but not good for preparing something wet for sous vide, or to marinate food.

I'd love to have a chamber vacuum sealer, but price and size have always been a problem. Mainly size. I have too much stuff in my kitchen, already.

CD

I did find a work-around for my Foodsaver. I put the liquids in a bag, freeze it, and then vacuum seal it. That is fine for sealing soups and stews to be stored in the freezer, but not good for preparing something wet for sous vide, or to marinate food.

CD
Why are you putting this much effort into stews/soups? Wouldn't it enough to just freeze them, save the money on the bags and buy food with better quality?
I'm just curious, because even in our professional kitchen we try to avoid sous vide bags as much as possible, due to their high price.

Really on the fence about this: Anova Percision Chamber Vacuum Sealer
Great not just for sealing, but infusing, pickling, compressing. I have larger commercial ones in units and they are amazing tools, just large and take up space. Having one at home would be fantastic, but then I get to wondering how often I would really use/need it?

View attachment 93471
I have this sealer and it works great. In comparison I had standard sealers (Anova and FoodVac) and this does the job much better. Better seal, easier to seal liquids, quick pickling of vegetables etc. Regular sealers simply suck air out of a bag compared to the vacuum chamber which removes all air from the chamber and bag and give much better results IMO.

Another advantage is that you can use pretty much any type bag. You may have noticed with the average sealer the bags are smooth on one side and have a rougher texture on the other to create a better pathway for the air to be pulled out. The vacuum chamber sealers can use those bags but also a normal smooth one which also tend to be cheaper. I also opened a double pack of Pork Tenderloin one day and resealed one of the loins back in its original packaging before freezing it.

Pricey buy but a very useful kitchen gadget, at least for me. My friend from the Netherlands send me a giant wheel of Gouda in Nov 2021 and I open it to use some then seal back using this. The cheese is still good lol.

Heres a test run on some carrots when I unboxed it.

Last edited:
Here is a relatively new gadget I picked up. It’s mainly made for smoking cocktails but can be used for food as well.
The chamber isn’t huge so you won’t be smoking a ham in this thing but you can smoke a couple servings, burgers, cheeses and other things.

I wont’ be buying a house for a couple years so this comes in handy in an apartment where I don’t have room for a real smoker. Its been a great alternative and provides room for further food experimentation.

Link to product

Here is a relatively new gadget I picked up. It’s mainly made for smoking cocktails but can be used for food as well.
The chamber isn’t huge so you won’t be smoking a ham in this thing but you can smoke a couple servings, burgers, cheeses and other things.

I wont’ be buying a house for a couple years so this comes in handy in an apartment where I don’t have room for a real smoker. Its been a great alternative and provides room for further food experimentation.

Link to product

I have this smoker which takes up much less space and is great for smoking small items. Its great fun to use: Sage by Heston Blumenthal. Not bad for £79 quid. Sage Smoking Gun

I should add that you can do dramatic dinner presentations if so inclined - with the use of a glass cloche to produce the magic 'reveal'.

1670786862919.png

Why are you putting this much effort into stews/soups? Wouldn't it enough to just freeze them, save the money on the bags and buy food with better quality?
I'm just curious, because even in our professional kitchen we try to avoid sous vide bags as much as possible, due to their high price.

Because vacuum sealing eliminates air from the bag, which stops freezer burn. I rarely freeze leftovers, and when I do, I know it may be months before I eat them. If I don't vacuum seal them, I will be throwing them away before I get around to eating them.

The bags aren't cheap, but throwing away food isn't cheap, either.

The other thing I mentioned was marinating. That process is more effective in a shorter time than just using a bowl and some cling film. The vacuum environment speeds the process, and the marinade permeates the meat better.

CD

Last edited:
I have this smoker which takes up much less space and is great for smoking small items. Its great fun to use: Sage by Heston Blumenthal. Not bad for £79 quid. Sage Smoking Gun

I should add that you can do dramatic dinner presentations if so inclined - with the use of a glass cloche to produce the magic 'reveal'.

View attachment 93554

Take the Heston Blumenthal name off of it, and it would sell for 29-quid. :laugh:

But seriously, those smoke guns are good for lightly smoking small items. I cold smoke cheese every winter, so I can do it outside and not melt the cheese. I made my own smoke producing device with a tin can, a soldering iron, and some wood chips. It cost me less than ten bucks, and works great. I took a picture of it, but can't seem to find it. A smoke gun would alow me to cld smoke cheese any time, but I kinda' like making it a cold night in winter activity.

CD

Back
Top Bottom