What’s the next kitchen item you plan to buy?

I resisted getting an air fryer. So fashionable, so culty. But Picky Eater loves hers and insisted my life was incomplete without one. So I broke down and picked one up. I have to admit it does a very good job with things like French fries and onion rings, fast cooking and easy cleanup. Shirred eggs were OK, not great. I haven't tried a Dutch baby yet, but that's likely breakfast tomorrow.
I like mine enough that I’m not giving it away, but not so much that I’ll get a new one when this one konks out.

My supper tonight was 100% air fryer - grilled (or was that fried…or convection baked?) ham and cheese sandwich and fries.

Fries were great, but I had to cook them separately, which meant I ate my meal in stages (not complaining, just pointing it out), but the sandwich was not that good.

Air fryers can blow things around in there, I guess, because I frequently find things rearranged, and this time around, it blew the bread half off my sandwich, and the exposed ham was burnt black.

I like mine enough that I’m not giving it away, but not so much that I’ll get a new one when this one konks out.

My supper tonight was 100% air fryer - grilled (or was that fried…or convection baked?) ham and cheese sandwich and fries.

Fries were great, but I had to cook them separately, which meant I ate my meal in stages (not complaining, just pointing it out), but the sandwich was not that good.

Air fryers can blow things around in there, I guess, because I frequently find things rearranged, and this time around, it blew the bread half off my sandwich, and the exposed ham was burnt black.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well tofu cubes came out. I drained, cubed, patted dry, used a dry rub, then air-fried them. Nice crisp outside, chewy center. Great dipped in a chile sauce.

When you use a food processor, you chop, or "grind" the meat - either into little pieces, or into a combination of pieces and pulp. It´s a different texture than minced meat, so you can only expect a different result.

I have done it both ways, and it is certainly different, although I wouldn't say one way is better. Using the food processor is faster and a little less messy.

CD

I've read that, but I'm unsure if I should do it because I never grind the meat and use it immediately I always freeze it, so I would end up freezing the meat twice...

For grinding or chopping in a food processor, you only partially freeze the meat. You don't want it frozen solid, as that would not work. You just want to firm it up enough that it doesn't get too clumpy.

I put the metal grinder attachment for my KA mixer in the freezer for 30 minutes before using it, too. Everything passes through it more smoothly that way.

CD

Air fryers can blow things around in there, I guess, because I frequently find things rearranged, and this time around, it blew the bread half off my sandwich, and the exposed ham was burnt black
Perhaps that's just your model? Mine certainly doesn't appear to actually move stuff around...
I've got this one Philips HD9742 (Buy the Philips Premium Airfryer HD9742/93 Airfryer)

Let's put it this way, if I had to choose between the airfryer and the microwave, it would be the airfryer every time.

I've given up on the air fryer....we've had several types over the years (most recently an Actify, but we previously had one of the Philips ones too). They may be healthier but on most things I thought the results were pretty mediocre compared to proper frying.

So for fried things we now have a deep fat fryer (self-filtering one, so pretty easy to clean). For toasted sandwiches I use the toastie maker or a frying pan on the hob (depending on the size & shape of the bread) and for everything else we have the grill, the oven or the combi microwave (microwave with small grill and oven).

Let's put it this way, if I had to choose between the airfryer and the microwave, it would be the airfryer every time.

Not really comparable though as they are very different appliances. Microwaves are brilliant for green vegetables (for example). Easier than steaming and less use of energy with a similar result - a brilliant bright green.

Not really comparable though as they are very different appliances. Microwaves are brilliant for green vegetables (for example). Easier than steaming and less use of energy with a similar result - a brilliant bright green.
They are comparable in that they both take up space. Similar to other small appliances. I don't use the microwave much at all when hubby is home and I'm not living off microwave meals.
Mostly I'm reheating lukewarm coffee, that's all and given I'm not much of a coffee person, I don't touch the stuff when hubby's home, I have little need for one. Personally I prefer to steam. I don't like clingfilm because it still isn't biodegradable in the vast majority of cases. Thankfully the stuff I have is better that traditionally stuff but still not fantastic.

Plus most of my 'greens' tend only to be blanched or added to other stuff during streaming or cooking. Saturday night peas are an example, they just get boiling water from the kettle poured over them and then left. No extra heat needed. Leaf greens are usual eaten raw or just blanched. Again just pour boiling water over and leave.

I wouldn't live without my microwave, it is easily the most beloved kitchen appliance in my kitchen 🤩 Most of my meals are microwaved because I cook food in batch then heat the leftovers in the microwave. It's a much easier way, cleaner and probably less expensive way way to heat food. Also I work from home but I may not have time to cook lunch so it's easier to just reheat food.

Now, as for my airfryer... I wanted to love it so much but it's just not working out. I guess it's not her it's me. I have yet to cook anything in it that turns out amazing plus it's a massive appliance that takes up a lot of space. Maybe I would use it more if I had it on the kitchen counter and not inside a cabinet but it would take up too much space. But me and my microwave are bffs for life :love:

I may have mentioned this before, stop me if you've seen this before ... I had read about placing special parchment paper liners in your AF and couldn't see paying the price, so I did my own DIY ...
IMG_1616.JPG

All well and good, just don't put it in while you are pre-heating the AF!!!
The fan blew the paper up on to the heating element and made the smoke alarm very unhappy :thankyou:

I may have mentioned this before, stop me if you've seen this before ... I had read about placing special parchment paper liners in your AF and couldn't see paying the price, so I did my own DIY ...
View attachment 93366
All well and good, just don't put it in while you are pre-heating the AF!!!
The fan blew the paper up on to the heating element and made the smoke alarm very unhappy :thankyou:
I got a silicone mold to use on mine. I haven't used it yet but this method has good reviews online.

Back
Top Bottom