What’s the next kitchen item you plan to buy?

I really really want a smart kettle......I love gadgets and I need a new kettle so a smart kettle sounds ideal. Plus I'd be able to sit at my desk and say "Alexa, put the kettle on" and the water would be boiled and ready for my tea by the time I got downstairs to the kitchen:giggle:

Back in December I posted on this thread about the smart kettle I wanted....but sadly it was out of stock absolutely everywhere. Only it turned out to be a good thing because it seems the company that made them have gone bust and now the app used to control the kettle is no longer working. So that was a lucky escape! I didn't like the look of the only other one on the market that works with Alexa so I shelved the idea for a while.

Until today that is, when I found there's a new one on the market :hyper: And this one is made by Swan (a well-known household brand) so I've no concerns about ongoing support. Also it doesn't require a separate app because it works natively in the Alexa app - even better! The only downside is that it only comes in black (I'd have preferred white), but hey, you can't have everything right?

Just got to wait for it to arrive now......
SK14650BLKN_CT02_1024x.jpg

Last edited:
I really really want a smart kettle......I love gadgets and I need a new kettle so a smart kettle sounds ideal. Plus I'd be able to sit at my desk and say "Alexa, put the kettle on" and the water would be boiled and ready for my tea by the time I got downstairs to the kitchen:giggle:

Back in December I posted on this thread about the smart kettle I wanted....but sadly it was out of stock absolutely everywhere. Only it turned out to be a good thing because it seems the company that made them have gone bust and now the app used to control the kettle is no longer working. So that was a lucky escape! I didn't like the look of the only other one on the market that works with Alexa so I shelved the idea for a while.

Until today that is, when I found there's a new one on the market :hyper: And this one is made by Swan (a well-known household brand) so I've no concerns about ongoing support. Also it doesn't require a separate app because it works natively in the Alexa app - even better! The only downside is that it only comes in black (I'd have preferred white), but hey, you can't have everything right?

View attachment 96748
That's a gorgeous kettle and I like the appeal of having the water for your tea ready soon as you walk into the kitchen. Don't give me ideas... :laugh:

View attachment 96748

We only boil about half a mug more than we actually need. I can see very easily with this kettle that that would not be the way it would work because in order to be at your desk/bed/insert location here, you'd need to ensure enough water was already in it and with humans being inheritently lazy I suspect the tendency will easily slide back to filling it full and waiting until it's empty 4 or 5 mugs later, then filling it full again.

With care you could and should be able to avoid that but humans are not really known for that as a whole sadly.

We only boil about half a mug more than we actually need. I can see very easily with this kettle that that would not be the way it would work because in order to be at your desk/bed/insert location here, you'd need to ensure enough water was already in it and with humans being inheritently lazy I suspect the tendency will easily slide back to filling it full and waiting until it's empty 4 or 5 mugs later, then filling it full again.

With care you could and should be able to avoid that but humans are not really known for that as a whole sadly.
I also only boil what I need....generally around 500ml (my mugs are about 400ml). Yes I'll have to slightly change my routine (I've already thought of that) but it'll just be case of getting into the habit of refilling the kettle whilst my tea is brewing.

I also only boil what I need....generally around 500ml (my mugs are about 400ml). Yes I'll have to slightly change my routine (I've already thought of that) but it'll just be case of getting into the habit of refilling the kettle whilst my tea is brewing.
I was reckoning that "you'd" (general you, not specially you in person) have to change to a top it up by 1 mug after use each time approach so it always has 1 mug plus a little bit over in it, that way you can turn the kettle on remotely and not have to add water, but also not actually keep too much water in it and boil extra water unnecessarily.

That was my first thought. Unless it fills itself with water, I'll still have to get up and do that. I guess you could make sure to top it off everytime you pour some out, but that ain't going to happen in my house. :laugh:

CD

That was my first thought. Unless it fills itself with water, I'll still have to get up and do that. I guess you could make sure to top it off everytime you pour some out, but that ain't going to happen in my house. :laugh:

CD
I know my husband actually uses it as a reason to get up and walk around at work. (He's had both ankles fused now due to severe osteoarthritis and the most recent one still swells up. It will for a while yet. It was inky fused back in May last year). So his routine is to walk to the kitchen, add water to the kettle (I won't say fill because he doesn't and the generic you shouldn't fill it full then boil it for 1 cup/mug of hot water. Most take 1.7L of water). Then he'll go to the bathroom usually picking one further away than necessary... comes back makes his drink and goes back to his desk. He did the same at home, without the choice of dunnies!

I was reckoning that "you'd" (general you, not specially you in person) have to change to a top it up by 1 mug after use each time approach so it always has 1 mug plus a little bit over in it, that way you can turn the kettle on remotely and not have to add water, but also not actually keep too much water in it and boil extra water unnecessarily.
Yep that's exactly what I was saying...getting in to the habit of topping up the kettle with water whilst my tea is brewing, ready for the next cup.

I guess you could make sure to top it off everytime you pour some out, but that ain't going to happen in my house. :laugh:
That's the plan indeed. Its only me that uses the kettle 90% of the time...hubby doesn't drink tea and has a Tassimo for his coffee so its only me that has to remember to fill it.

We'll see how useful the smart function is in the long run...maybe it'll turn out to be a gimmick, or maybe it'll be really useful....time will tell. But I needed a new kettle anyway and this one (with a 20% off code) was only about £35 more than I would have spent on a normal one so I think it was worth it.

View attachment 96748
Electric LKettle..jpg

I got an elcheapo electric kettle that looks something like this & it still works good!! Had it for a long while. :whistling:

Last edited:
I have a Smeg pink kettle that was a Christmas gift from a friend a couple years ago. It's so cute I don't think I'll ever have the courage to trade it for another one 😍 unless they make one in yellow
brx%3ApostcardDeskLarge.jpg

I have a Smeg pink kettle that was a Christmas gift from a friend a couple years ago. It's so cute I don't think I'll ever have the courage to trade it for another one 😍 unless they make one in yellow
That's very cute :love:

I must admit that I love a pretty kettle.....I know you can buy cheap boring ones that work just as well, but as it lives on the worktop in full view I much prefer to have something that also looks nice.

Back
Top Bottom