What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't eat very much of anything. Mostly, its other people who eat it. I always taste test everything though! I just made some croissants, for example. I tasted a tiny part of one to make sure it was OK. That is all I have eaten today so far. I can't afford the calories! Son, daughter and partner will eat them.
Since you are so clearly a food lover, I feel sad that you confine yourself to such tiny morsels.... I hope you are not going hungry most of the time...
default_unsure.png

Since you are so clearly a food lover, I feel sad that you confine yourself to such tiny morsels.... I hope you are not going hungry most of the time...
default_unsure.png
I am hungry a lot. If I wasn't a bit hungry I wouldn't be able to cook! I eat one main meal at night. Nothing more than a low cal snack in the day. I drink a lot of wine. :drink::ohmy:

I am hungry a lot. If I wasn't a bit hungry I wouldn't be able to cook! I eat one main meal at night. Nothing more than a low cal snack in the day. I drink a lot of wine. :drink::ohmy:

I generally eat one main meal per day late afternoon (not too late so as to allow the food to be digested before bed). However, I do have this habit of drinking quite a lot of beer during the day which tends to bugger up things.

Sorry, I should have said Zatarain's brand yellow rice. I will endeavor to be more clear in the future. I don't make money off of Google. :headshake:

It was just OK. Too salty for me.
Make her google lol. It does her good.
Too salty is why I don't use the box mixes. Oh an Rice a Roni is even worse.

Well here’s a pretty turn of events. Tonight we had a Chilli con Carne again. And this time, I cooked it. But it isn’t just as straight forward as that. Late last night, my wife told me that she would be very late home tonight. So clearly, I was going to be cooking. Except that there was absolutely nothing except a tray of beef mince. “There’s beef mince” she said, “for Chilli con Carne”. My heart sank. Sure enough, there in the kitchen was a packet of Chilli con Carne mix – different brand this time, but it comes down to the same thing. Well the one thing I was always certain of was that I wasn’t using it. I mean. Where would my Cooking Bites street cred be then?

My first idea was that I would make some sort of kebabs. But we didn’t really have any of the ingredients I would have needed for that, and I’m not sure that the mince would actually have gone far enough if I had done that. Anyway, turning over the conversation we had last time I decided to have a look on the internet and found the Hairy Bikers’ recipe for Chilli con Carne. Still didn’t quite have everything, their recipe calls for red wine and I had none of that. It also called for ground coriander and I had none of that. Other than that, I made it pretty much the way their recipe said. Except that I put two teaspoons of chilli flakes in, having a crisis about whether it was enough. I’m glad I didn’t put any more in. It was enough. It was a chilli that was somewhat hotter than I would normally have it. The older teenager ate it and said he enjoyed it but admitted that it was perhaps a little too hot. The younger teenager was typically reticent and put about a third of his portion in the caddy. My wife is not home yet. There’s a portion waiting for her. If you don’t hear from me tomorrow, you’ll know she didn’t care for it…

I love it too. I have just made some Gravadlax...

I love Gravadlax. I first experienced it in Sweden. I have never attempted to make it, but I have had it in this country and it has been quite good.

I have one of those stories. Caused great hilarity among my colleagues at the time, but never quite seems as funny in the re-telling. Anyway, a former colleague, famous for his lack of sophistication, one of these that wears his lack of sophistication like a badge of honour, on a flight to Sweden, was served Gravadlax. Called the flight attendant over and asked her if she thought he was a seal. I suppose the point was that he was not prepared to see the distinction between marinaded and raw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom