What did you cook/eat today (April 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dinner tonight was potato and asparagus frittatas, followed by rhubarb crumble and custard.

WP_20170426_22_04_06_Pro.jpg

I used a BBC Good Food recipe for 3 people and had half of it for my dinner, but I was a bit disappointed with the quantity. The other half is still in the kitchen at the moment..... :laugh:

That is one of the most wonderful desserts. I love rhubarb. :love:
That's one of the things I miss about my Mum and Dad's old house. They had apple, cherry and plum trees, gooseberries. black-, red- and white currants, strawberries, and rhubarb! They grew loads of veg too up until the shops were built in 1958, when we got a greengrocers, butchers and a grocers too. After that they started scaling everything down (including the rabbits and the chickens), but they kept the fruit bushes and berries until the 1970s, and the trees were still there when the house was sold.

That's one of the things I miss about my Mum and Dad's old house. They had apple, cherry and plum trees, gooseberries. black-, red- and white currants, strawberries, and rhubarb! They grew loads of veg too up until the shops were built in 1958, when we got a greengrocers, butchers and a grocers too. After that they started scaling everything down (including the rabbits and the chickens), but they kept the fruit bushes and berries until the 1970s, and the trees were still there when the house was sold.
My Dad also grew all sorts of things (including rhubarb) in our council house garden. Haven't you got a garden where you are? I'm rubbish at gardening - I have a very long big garden here with virtually nothing edible in it!

My Dad also grew all sorts of things (including rhubarb) in our council house garden. Haven't you got a garden where you are? I'm rubbish at gardening - I have a very long big garden here with virtually nothing edible in it!
My back garden is about 25'x 18' - just the right size for a greyhound to do zoomies round. The only food item that survives is a decent supply of hazelnuts from the one and only tree out there. I have a long front garden (about 50') but the actual garden plot is only about 8' wide. I do have an apple tree, an elder tree and blackberries out there, providing the neighbour from hell doesn't have a go at it all. I've even caught people in my front garden picking my apples! Anyway, I'm rubbish at gardening too. I have some basil growing in the kitchen but even that is not safe from one of the cats :laugh:

The only vegetable/fruit we ever had was tomatoes. Now for a couple of years we raised minnows in a cement pond. (Yes, that is a literal, not a reference to the Beverly Hillbillies. )
We raised them to feed the piranha (yes those piranhas and yes mom had to have a permit) and our walking catfish. It had been raised as a pet. Well mom fed the piranha. We fed the catfish.

Lol @ see-ment pond.

An old friend had piranhas. They were pretty cool to watchvwhen tney fed on little "feeder" goldfish.

I've wanted to put in a pond to have koi carp, but it would just be a convenient stop for bears.

Lol @ see-ment pond.

An old friend had piranhas. They were pretty cool to watchvwhen tney fed on little "feeder" goldfish.

I've wanted to put in a pond to have koi carp, but it would just be a convenient stop for bears.
Well it was a pond lined with cement. I talked to the new owners about 25 years ago. They were curious as to why that one corner of the yard seemed to be a hole. Apparently after we moved, someone just shoveled a bunch in dirt in it.

We raised them to feed the piranha (yes those piranhas and yes mom had to have a permit) and our walking catfish. It had been raised as a pet. Well mom fed the piranha. We fed the catfish.
I had a pacu and a snakehead many years ago. Each had a plecostomus for company. They were sold when they grew too big for the we made for them. The glass for the pacu's home came from a local Pizza Hut which was being refurbished. The glass still had the Pizza Hut stickers on it! And the glass for the snakehead's tank was made from 1" thick plate glass (he could lift 1/2" thick glass with ease). Both fish were sold on after a few years as they had outgrown their respective tanks.

The recipe I use says " 4 tbsp chilli powder" :whistling: Over the years the amount of chilli I put in it has reduced considerably, and I now use 2 teaspoons of crushed chilli.

"Chili powder" could be any chili that was dried and ground I guess. I use about 2 heaped tsp of the ground dried chilies that we get here (50,000 - 100,000 Shus) per kg of beef but I also add fresh chilies (about 6 large cayenne per kg and the same number of Thai hot chilies). These shall be joining 2 kg of minced beef at the weekend. They will be chopped up.

CCC chilies s.jpg

[The resultant chili con carne should then be what I consider to be medium to hot heat, which of course is subjective]

Last edited:
Black-eyed beans with charred peppers, red wine tomato sauce and spinach. Its destiny - to be wrapped in tortillas, covered in grated cheese and baked in the oven. But it could just as easily be served as it is with some bread.

The sauce is made with ginger, garlic and coriander as well as red wine.

IMGP1901.jpg

IMGP1902.jpg

Last edited:
Looks fabulous. Though black-eyed beans almost confused me. They look identical to our black Eyed peas. Don't ask me why they are called peas over here. I do not know.

Tonight will either be jambalaya from the freezer or lasagna from the freezer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom