What did you cook/eat today (December 2019)?

Due to hubby being very late home last night (as in well after meal time and bed time) we'r had a single portion of soup left. The original plan wad that I'd cook another soup to eat cold but by tbe time I got home from my medical appointment it was already midday and +36°C so there was no way I was cooking for an hour (the soup, a cold borscht, needs simmer for 45 minutes). The house wad going to very hot enough without help and the air quality was already too low to be cooking outside (we're now in dense bush fire smoke and I can't venture into certain rooms in the house because if the smell of smoke from windows that don't quite fit properly).

So tea was a what can I do to pad out the single portion of soup? 1 avocado cut into dice, the last cherry plum tomatoes, some falafels found in tbe back of the fridge and the sprouted lentils and mung beans padded out the soup nicely. Dessert was a Ben's and Jerry's Dairy free 'frozen dessert', chocolate fudge brownie.

Not quite as photogenic as previous nights but it disappeared without complaint.

Somehow with a 43°C forecast for tomorrow and not being able to user the gas BBQ to cook on (it has rings as well) which was the whole idea behind getting on (when it's too hot to cook inside, cook outside, I just hadn't factored in the bush fires), I need to work out what I'm going to make for tea. We may be on sandwiches!

Due to hubby being very late home last night (as in well after meal time and bed time) we'r had a single portion of soup left. The original plan wad that I'd cook another soup to eat cold but by tbe time I got home from my medical appointment it was already midday and +36°C so there was no way I was cooking for an hour (the soup, a cold borscht, needs simmer for 45 minutes). The house wad going to very hot enough without help and the air quality was already too low to be cooking outside (we're now in dense bush fire smoke and I can't venture into certain rooms in the house because if the smell of smoke from windows that don't quite fit properly).

So tea was a what can I do to pad out the single portion of soup? 1 avocado cut into dice, the last cherry plum tomatoes, some falafels found in tbe back of the fridge and the sprouted lentils and mung beans padded out the soup nicely. Dessert was a Ben's and Jerry's Dairy free 'frozen dessert', chocolate fudge brownie.

Not quite as photogenic as previous nights but it disappeared without complaint.

Somehow with a 43°C forecast for tomorrow and not being able to user the gas BBQ to cook on (it has rings as well) which was the whole idea behind getting on (when it's too hot to cook inside, cook outside, I just hadn't factored in the bush fires), I need to work out what I'm going to make for tea. We may be on sandwiches!

Take care if anywhere near some fires, which is quite probable at present, given the amount of them affecting so many areas down here at present.

I cooked it in the halogen oven at 250 degC. Maybe the lamb was old but it was definitely chewy. The spuds were OK.

What is the cut of lamb? It looks like lamb shank - in which case it has to be cooked low and slow until it practically falls off the bone. I made a lamb shank curry a few months ago (forgot to write the recipe down as I went) but it was cooked for several hours.

It was ok. Panera is wildly popular here, there are as many locations as Starbucks, it seems, but I don't get the attraction.

I like their paninis, but there is something they use that doesn't agree with me. Their paninis seem to "pass-through" my system in a bit of a hurry. Let's just leave it at that. :eek:

CD

What is the cut of lamb? It looks like lamb shank - in which case it has to be cooked low and slow until it practically falls off the bone. I made a lamb shank curry a few months ago (forgot to write the recipe down as I went) but it was cooked for several hours.

Yes, lamb shank needs a long "low-n-slow" cook. I usually braise shanks until, as you say, they nearly fall off the bone.

CD

New Orleans Day 2. There was a cafe duMonde a few blocks from my hotel, on the way to the job. I had already eaten my complimentary hotel breakfast of sausage and overcooked scrambled eggs, but had to stop for beignets and some real coffee. Sorry, no photos, I ate in the car. I didn't want to be late.

After I did my photoshoot, I went to the airport to use the free wifi to send photos to my customer in Indiana. There was an "Emeril's Kitchen" right next to my gate. I have mixed results with celebrity chef restaurants -- the worst being one of Gordon Ramsey's places in Vegas. Yes, Gordon Ramsay.

I ordered some boudin balls at Emeril's Kitchen. They tasted very good, and were perfectly fried, but they tasted more like hushpuppies than boudin balls. But, I have to say I did enjoy them. The stoneground mustard on the bottom didn't make sense, but the sweet dipping sauce was very good, and something I didn't expect with boudin balls.

IMG_0956.JPG

CD

Last edited:
New Orleans Day 2. There was a cafe duMonde a few blocks from my hotel, on the way to the job. I had already eaten my complimentary hotel breakfast of sausage and overcooked scrambled eggs, but had to stop for beignets and some real coffee. Sorry, no photos, I ate in the car. I didn't want to be late.

After I did my photoshoot, I went to the airport to use the free wifi to send photos to my customer in Indiana. The was an "Emeril's Kitchen" right next to my gate. I have mixed results with celebrity chef restaurants -- the worst being one of Gordon Ramsey's places in Vegas. Yes, Gordon Ramsay.

I ordered some boudin balls at Emeril's Kitchen. They tasted very good, and were perfectly fired, but they tasted more like hushpuppies than boudin balls. But, I have to say I did enjoy them. The stoneground mustard on the bottom didn't make sense, but the sweet dipping sauce was very good, and something I didn't expect with boudin balls.

View attachment 35856

CD

The drink looks inviting!!

Russ

Back
Top Bottom