What did you cook/eat today (December 2019)?

Lamb shanks??

Russ

In the UK a lamb shank:

Lamb shank is a super-simple, cheaper cut that goes a long way. Taken from the lower part of the back legs, there is a lot of collagen in the shank, which, when cooked slowly, gives the meat a lovely soft, melting texture, making this another cut that’s perfect for stews and slow-cooking. Keep things British and cook with a stout or porter to add real depth, or go Moroccan with a mouth-watering tagine.

How to choose the right cut of lamb | Features | Jamie Oliver

Misunderstood - I thought you were asking what they were. Sorry. Do you ever cook lamb shanks rascal

Yes I do in the slow cooker with a gravy, the meat falls off the bone. Usually cook 3 to 4 hrs on real slow. Red wine in the gravy as well. I have some in my freezer ATM. Winter grub, not in summer that we have ATM.

Russ

Yes I do in the slow cooker with a gravy, the meat falls off the bone. Usually cook 3 to 4 hrs on real slow. Red wine in the gravy as well. I have some in my freezer ATM. Winter grub, not in summer that we have ATM.

Russ

I braise lamb shanks in a Dutch oven -- the original slow cooker -- at a gentle simmer until a fork goes through the meat "like butter." I also use red wine most of the time, as part of the cooking liquid.

CD

I braise lamb shanks in a Dutch oven -- the original slow cooker -- at a gentle simmer until a fork goes through the meat "like butter." I also use red wine most of the time, as part of the cooking liquid.

CD

I also kill two birds with big pieces of carrot cooked at the same time in the crock pot. Then I only have to do mash spud to go with it. They used to be cheap here, I fed my dogs on them, now they are about $12 ea.

Russ

Heated up left over Hawaiian pizza for mr7 and miss10, she stayed overnight. I grilled 3 cheese rolls with lots of butter for myself.

Russ

Tonight was our annual Christmas dinner out. We went to a place called the Paragon Supper Club.

I had two old-fashioneds at the bar, the wife had two whiskey sours, while we waited on our table (they don't take reservations).

For starters, I had the richest French onion soup I've ever eaten, and the wife had a king crab cocktail - a load of already-shelled Alaskan king crab and cocktail sauce.

Then we moved on to tossed salads, mine with creamy peppercorn, hers with lumpy blue cheese.

My entree was a 12oz NY strip, topped with bernaise sauce, buttered cauliflower and broccoli mix, absolutely gorgeous hash browns, and onion straws. MrsTasty has a 4oz filet mignon and two petite lobster tails, mashed potatoes, creamed spinach, and onion straws. I also had a glass of wine with the meal.

We fully intended to get dessert, but were both too full, even with half of our mains left, that we skipped dessert entirely. First time that's ever happened. Ever.

This is our go-to special occasion place. It's the kind of place, as soon as you walk in, everything is perfect. Everyone is polished and professional, no "Hi, howya doin'," but "Good evening, Sir, Madam. Your coats, please." Bartenders are quick and pour perfectly-made strong drinks with no flash or hoopla, and the waitstaff know the menu inside and out, don't write anything down, and know to space the courses appropriately.

Back
Top Bottom