What did you cook/eat today (December 2019)?

I plan to have fillet mignon myself on Christmas day but I'll be cooking it. After reading that I may add a few sauteed prawns also (we have some in the freezer).
I took a picture, but the lighting and the fact that they "allow, but strongly discourage" food photos, means this doesn't do the food justice.

I am in New Orleans on business, and Morning Glory requested photos of what I ate here. Well, I got in town just in time to go out to ACME Oyster House before closing time...

View attachment 35808

Where I had some chargrilled oysters, with a side bowl of red beans and rice (and some Jack Daniel's).

View attachment 35809

Chargrilled oysters are cooked on a flame grill (not under a broiler, which seems to be a British "grill"). They are swimming in butter and garlic, and dusted with bread crumbs. Always served with some New Orleans bread to sop up the garlic butter.

The red beans and rice were proper. It seems simple, but it's not easy to get red beans and rice right.

CD

Just had to toss this in. A bit off topic, but it goes with my New Orleans trip posts.

I like this guy's videos. He really loves food, and I've never seen anyone eat as much as he can. On this new video from New Orleans, he nails it. If you only have a few days there, do exactly what he did, and you will get the basics of New Orleans cuisine (including the chargrilled oysters at ACME Oyster House).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LY9u_NHwXg

CD

We also did the potatoes with potatoes but at the cinema...

We started off buy having onion rings plus BBQ sauce and chips (thick cut) with a sweet chili sauce and a something salty/soy sauce sauce... and drinks at the start of the film. Then roughly ½ way to ⅔rds of the way through we had deep fried spring rolls with more sweet chili sauce and the beer batter potatoes wedges also with a tomato chutney of some form and more drinks. These are served to you by the waitresses and waiters from the licensed bar. Given that every seat in the lounge (not theater) is an electric recliner and there are less than 9 seats per row and we were the back row (row E) you can easily work out that there are less than 50 seats per lounge and only 2 lounges. You can order full meals from the menu and everything is cooked to order.

We don't often go to the cinema, maybe once or twice a year so don't mind the cost.

Chicken vesuvio. A fairly simple, 1 pot meal, but quite tasty. Dessert was almond butter/cacao nib cookies.

I had some cherry tomatoes, thus......

Blue cod beer battered ready to cook last night. 3 friends had to have a second helping, served with twice fried chips and a salad, lettuce spring onions radishes and tomatoes from wife's garden.
Golden syrup sponge for dessert. You can't beat a good night dining and enjoying friends company, and our daughter and grandson. We set up a swear jar if we swore by mistake. He woke up this morning with $5 he didn't have yesterday,lol.

Russ

I went to a late lunch with three of my neighbors. We went to a new TexMex place just up the road. It was good. I had my favorite, cheese enchiladas with chili on top and rice and beans on the side. Sorry, no pictures. I didn't think to do it at the time.

CD

I cooked some mini pizzas in the halogen oven today. "Take & Bake" bread rolls with salsa, a mixture of Cheddar and mozzerela and slices of pepperoni. They were surprisingly good. I didn't take photographs as they got away from me in the oven (very messy).

Back
Top Bottom