What did you cook/eat today (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all honesty, and I know I'm far from the first person to say this, but when McD's is on their game, I don't know if anyone makes better fries.

You could offer me the rarest of gourmet spuds, lovingly harvested and hand-sliced, soaked in the tears of a unicorn, fried in oil squeezed from the Peanuts Of Heaven, and lightly seasoned with fairy dust, and they wouldn't stand up against McD's on their best day. 👎🏻

Now, that isn't to say that McD's fries go with everything. They'd be an abomination as part of a good order of fish and chips. :)

Not sure if that's the same here in Europe. I've heard they have a kind of legendary status in the US, but here they often are soggy and cold-ish. I've had far better fries in other places. They are good when they are fresh & crispy but that's a dime a dozen here.

So while I won't challenge your opinion, my experience differs. I do happen to like the Big Mac though, much better than most other fast food burgers I think.

Dinner this evening my husband made coq au vin. :hungry:

I seasoned the chicken with Herbs de Provence, sage, and – strange it sounds – mayo. I just read that one of my favorite chefs - J Kenji Lopez-Alt - advocates a thin layer of mayo on the outside of just about anything that goes into a pan. It creates a nice crust, lets the seasoning distribute evenly, and things don’t taste like mayonnaise. I’m definitely going to use this technique again.

I must be ahead of the times. lol A short while ago we were having chicken thighs for dinner, bone in/skin on. I suggested to DH that he coat them in mayo,sprinkle home made Puerto Rican Adobo (Steven Raichlen recipe) and bake them in the oven. Best chicken in a long time.

Just curious...what's your typical BK order?

My fave is Double Whopper along with chips and if there is still room in my stomach (and yes, there is) chicken nuggets...oh, and onion rings too, I go crazy for them!
But I also like the Crispy Chicken.
The only thing I don't take is the Coca Cola or whatever thing is, I don't like it.

My fave is Double Whopper along with chips and if there is still room in my stomach (and yes, there is) chicken nuggets...oh, and onion rings too, I go crazy for them!
But I also like the Crispy Chicken.
The only thing I don't take is the Coca Cola or whatever thing is, I don't like it.
With fast food, I almost always order the same thing at each place:

1. BK - Whopper, Jr, no cheese, fries, water or unsweetened iced tea to drink.

2. McD's - Regular cheeseburger, large fries, water or unsweetened iced tea to drink.

3. Arby's - Regular roast beef, two potato cakes, water or unsweetened iced tea to drink.

4. Subway - 6" Veggie Delite, no cheese, in flatbread, oil and vinegar.

5. Taco Bell - 1 bean burrito, crunchy nachos, water or unsweetened iced tea to drink.

6. Popeye's chicken - 2-piece dinner (all dark meat, so they always throw in a third piece), red beans and rice, a biscuit, and water or unsweetened iced tea to drink.

2. McD's - Regular cheeseburger, large fries, water or unsweetened iced tea to drink.

3. Arby's - Regular roast beef, two potato cakes, water or unsweetened iced tea to drink.

5. Taco Bell - 1 bean burrito, crunchy nachos, water or unsweetened iced tea to drink.

6. Popeye's chicken - 2-piece dinner (all dark meat, so they always throw in a third piece), red beans and rice, a biscuit, and water or unsweetened iced tea to drink.

I'm so impressed by the number of fast food you named, here they are appreciated, but not like in US.

Anyway, the number 5, Taco Bell, sounds very delicious to me at least as the number 6, Popeye's chicken

Recently they have opened a Roadhouse restaurant by these parts. I ate really good burgers, the only thing I didn't particularly like was the grilled meat that had a strange, almost sweet taste. Let's say that I will still go to Roadhouse but not to eat grilled meat, but only for hamburgers and fries and jacket potatoes.
For grilled meat I prefer the specialized restaurant, even better if Tuscan or Argentine.

I'm so impressed by the number of fast food you named, here they are appreciated, but not like in US.

Anyway, the number 5, Taco Bell, sounds very delicious to me at least as the number 6, Popeye's chicken

Recently they have opened a Roadhouse restaurant by these parts. I ate really good burgers, the only thing I didn't particularly like was the grilled meat that had a strange, almost sweet taste. Let's say that I will still go to Roadhouse but not to eat grilled meat, but only for hamburgers and fries and jacket potatoes.
For grilled meat I prefer the specialized restaurant, even better if Tuscan or Argentine.
I have not even scratched the surface of fast food offerings here. Seriously, if you're in some average US town, you'll be kind of hard-pressed to find a local restaurant, but you'll drown in chain ones, and particularly fast food. I didn't even mention Long John Silvers (fish), Captain D's (more fish), KFC, White Castle (sliders), Cane's (chicken fingers), Panda Express (Chinese), Skyline (hot dogs), Gold Star (hot dogs), Del Taco, Pizza Hut, Little Caesar's (pizza), Penn Station (deli sandwiches), A&W (hot dogs and burgers), and too many more I'm forgetting.

Taco Bell is kind of a running joke in the US. It's the cheapest and therefore lowest quality food. That meal I mentioned...if I stick with water, I'll pay...wait for it...$1.98. It's the kind of place you go when you're drunk and you just need some food. One joke is, "Taco Bell...Taco Big Box, $5. Diarrhea, free with any purchase!" There's even a name for the post-lunch distress Taco Bell causes - the Taco Bell Trots. :laugh:

I found some marinade in the freezer yesterday. The title on the tub had virtually rubbed off. It was red so I'm guessing it's for chicken. I dropped 400 gms of chicken in it today.

We shall no doubt see.

I grilled them on skewers at 225°C. Not a disaster but pretty average. I still don't know what the marinade was.

We only have these 3 and KFC here.

My order at MCd is always a Big Mac menu with their typical dutch fry sauce they don't have in any other country. With a coke.

Burger king I usually try to avoid and if I go there I'll just have a cheeseburger and curly fries with ketchup and a coke.

KFC I like the chicken strips with corn and fries and their spicy sauce. Same fizzy drink.

Subway is the one I like the most out of this list. I will usually have a veggie patty, spicy cheese, peppers, olives, lettuce and honey mustard in an honey-oat. And a white chocolate raspberry cookie. Plus ice tea.

We have KFC and Pizza Company. That's all and more than sufficient.

I do have a weakness for a Big Mac, but I don't use other big chain fast food places apart from the occasional breakfast from Greggs. Tried Subway once, and found it truly appalling. Out local town is probably unusual in that both McD's and BK have closed down but small independents are thriving.

I have not even scratched the surface of fast food offerings here. Seriously, if you're in some average US town, you'll be kind of hard-pressed to find a local restaurant, but you'll drown in chain ones, and particularly fast food. I didn't even mention Long John Silvers (fish), Captain D's (more fish), KFC, White Castle (sliders), Cane's (chicken fingers), Panda Express (Chinese), Skyline (hot dogs), Gold Star (hot dogs), Del Taco, Pizza Hut, Little Caesar's (pizza), Penn Station (deli sandwiches), A&W (hot dogs and burgers), and too many more I'm forgetting.

Taco Bell is kind of a running joke in the US. It's the cheapest and therefore lowest quality food. That meal I mentioned...if I stick with water, I'll pay...wait for it...$1.98. It's the kind of place you go when you're drunk and you just need some food. One joke is, "Taco Bell...Taco Big Box, $5. Diarrhea, free with any purchase!" There's even a name for the post-lunch distress Taco Bell causes - the Taco Bell Trots. :laugh:

I am lucky. I live in a Dallas suburb with a lot of restaurants, and many are independent restaurants. We have six prime steakhouses! There is a chain here called Fuzzy's Tacos that makes really good street-style tacos. Another chain, Taco Cabana has good tacos, and a drive-thru. I never bother with Taco Bell. As for burgers, we have Whataburger -- the one and only fast food I ever actually crave. Oh, we have In-and-Out Burger, too, but I go to Whataburger.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom