What did you cook/eat today (October 2019)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if it's not time for fresh broad beans, why deny them? So I used frozen beans and the result was perfect, at least for me!

I have to cook a little too much (I prefer to consume all the frozen product without having to close it and refreeze it again), but I still managed them to get bruschette as appetizer and then seasoning a dish of spelt spaghetti.

Even if it's not time for fresh broad beans, why deny them?

I quite agree - frozen broad beans are a very good thing and in the UK at least are often better than fresh because the fresh ones tend to be bigger and older (the one's in the supermarket). I'm using some in a recipe this week.

I have to cook a little too much (I prefer to consume all the frozen product without having to close it and refreeze it again),

Why is that? Its pefectly fine, especially with veg, to use a little. After all that is the point of frozen - to be always at hand. Its only if you defrost everything & then refreeze it that it can be an issue. If you tip a portion of frozen peas or beans out of a packet and put the pack straight back in the freezer it isn't 're-freezing' because they won't have defrosted.

I quite agree - frozen broad beans are a very good thing and in the UK at least are often better than fresh because the fresh ones tend to be bigger and older (the one's in the supermarket). I'm using some in a recipe this week.

Absolutely yes, frozen vegetables in general are very good and I don't want to give up eating them waiting for the right season, even if I have to admit that for the fresh beans, once they are cooked, they have a special bitter aftertaste that the frozen ones don't have.
But for now it is fine and I am satisfied.

Why is that? Its pefectly fine, especially with veg, to use a little. After all that is the point of frozen - to be always at hand. Its only if you defrost everything & then refreeze it that it can be an issue. If you tip a portion of frozen peas or beans out of a packet and put the pack straight back in the freezer it isn't 're-freezing' because they won't have defrosted.

Yep, you are right, the problem is that I wanted to extract only a frozen piece but it was as hard as rock; I tried to break the block with the rolling pin but it came off a few at a time, so to not waste too much time I used them all .. maybe I have to set the temperature in the freezer

Can't you just take them out of the freezer a little sooner and take what you want before they all thaw out? I have that problem with DH. For some reason our frozen veggies, no matter how he cooks them, always wind up getting cold on my plate before I can finish eating them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom