What did you cook or eat today (August 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And since I’ve peeled carrots, I’ve decided to fried their skins

That is one of the few things I miss here. Pig is the king here, you can get it in every guise except gammon. the nearest I get to eat with mash and parsley sauce is smoked hock.

I do enjoy gammon. Horseshoe sells here at around £7.00/kg. I probably eat a 250 gm slice three times/fortnight. Sometimes grilled but mostly pan fried in olive oil.

First attempt at scaled horse mackerel
Back in the day I had a girlfriend who was the daughter of an apparently famous Fado singer and fisherman from Pria du Vau. He invited me to go fishing 😳with him and his friends. The first thing that nearly killed me was the boat was upside down on the beach. We had to pick it up, put it on our shoulders and run with it down the beach singing. We were all wearing budgie smugglers and trying to look good for the Scandinavian tourist girls. We fished all day and caught a good few Bass and loads of horse mackerel. They would not eat the mackerel and it was sold to the fertilizer company. I took a few and invited him over. I grilled the mackerel, he looked at me, I smiled and started to eat, for his daughter he had to do the same. They are brought up to believe Mackerel is a scavenger and eats dead bodies. The second thing that nearly killed me was him getting pissed and sang the same song over and over.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8qWl4ORfPg

Burt Blank horse mackerel is the fish of the poor. But because the portuguese were poor for a long time people grew up used to eating it until some of us moved to "fancier" food.

My dad used to own a boat when I was a kid. We had a motorboat that was out in the ocean and a smaller, wooden boat that stayed on dry land, we'd had to row the little boat to get to the bigger one. Once he took me fishing octopus with him when I was 7 or 8. I almost got a fish hook in my eye for pulling it too fast and he (thankfully) never took me fishing octopus again.

Today I tried out my new blender. After a good night's rest and getting to know the other kitchen appliances it was time for some hard work. We started by powdering stevia (1 cup stevia, 1 teaspoon cornstarch). It did a fairly good job, it did it fast and I was happy.
View attachment 45650

Then we moved to almond milk. Once again outstanding performance. Next time I think I will try blending the almonds even further for a thicker milk. The milk is supposed to be working on becoming a almond milk yogurt now.

View attachment 45651

Now the big test, pureeing a fresh coconut. Pureeing coconut was not a hard requirement, more like a nice to have, but I'd be very happy if my blender could do it. This was my first time working with a fresh coconut and I found it harder to open than dry coconut. It took me close to an hour and at a certain point there was coconut flying everywhere, on the walls, on the floor. After my coconut ordeal I got the meat in the blender along with the water that was inside the coconut. Would the blender be up to the test? You be the judge.
View attachment 45652

View attachment 45654

That's coconut ice cream ready to hit the freezer and be churned after.

My blender did a fairly good job with the coconut :D It was still a bit grainy, I admit, next time I'll try to puree it longer and see if it improves, but the texture was fairly decent.

Spent a lot of time in the kitchen this afternoon. Still need to prep chicken and horse mackerel for tomorrow.

That is pretty impressive,.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom